Provides assistance and support to the Activities Department in running daily activities for the residents. Helps plan and implement a diverse calendar of activity events. If an employee holds a Valid N.J. Driver’s License or a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL), he/she may be required to assist in driving facility bus or facility car.
- Provides considerate respectful care focused upon the residents’ individual needs.
- Affirms the resident’s right to make decisions regarding his/her medical care, including the decision to discontinue treatment, to the extent permitted by law.
- Demonstrates the ability to obtain information and interpret information in terms of the needs of the age of the residents cared for.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the range of care needed based on the age of the residents cared for.
- Demonstrates knowledge of growth, development and/or adult health throughout the life span as appropriate to the job performed.
- Successfully completes life-span education as appropriate.
- Responsible for the care of facility pets.
- Assures accuracy of daily Reality Orientation calendars/monthly calendars in a timely manner.
- Follows monthly calendars in providing scheduled programs.
- Sets up/cleans up activity rooms / supply closets to promote safety and optimal activity participation.
- Decorates designated areas to promote awareness of seasons, holiday, and special events.
- Shares responsibility for attending IDCP meetings and required documentation and communicates ideas and observations at departmental staff meetings.
- Maintains attendance records for activity functions when applicable.
- Provides instructions to volunteers who are assigned to them as well as assists in recruiting departmental volunteers.
High School Diploma Or Equivalent Required
Additional Educational Requirements
High school diploma or GED with strong interest and/or ability in art, music, or helping the elderly required. Prefer Associates degree or possess college credits in a related field.
Experience in a Healthcare Facility Preferred
Licenses and Certifications:
None for entry level. Must obtain AAC certification according to NCCAP standards within 3 years of hire date if a fulltime employee and within 5 years if a part-time employee (at least 18.75 hours).
Required Knowledge and Skills:
Ability to lead large and small group programs as well as one to one interventions. Must be willing to expand knowledge and interpret the needs of the aging and life span education by attending continuing education in-services. Strong professional, organizational, and interpersonal skills to effectively relate with all members of the healthcare team.
Works in a normal healthcare environment with frequent exposure to the elderly. Will come in contact with family members on a regular basis.
Potential for exposure to blood and/or body fluids.
Sitting – Rarely
Standing/Walking – Continuously
Kneeling/Stooping – Rarely
Bending/Climbing – Occasionally
Reaching above shoulder, at waist or below waist – Rarely
Lifting/Pushing or Pulling up to 40 pounds – Rarely
Lifting/Pushing or Pulling over 40 pounds – Occasionally
Typing/Filing – Rarely
Additional physical requirements:
Going on bus trips, pushing wheelchairs, lifting boxes, decorating for holidays, transferring residents for activity purposes, moving furniture in activity space.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
At CentraState, we welcome and promote the diversity of our employee family! Each unique person contributes to the overall success of this organization. Our inclusive culture fosters an environment of professionalism and respect for personal differences.
Additionally, CentraState Healthcare System prohibits discrimination based on arbitrary consideration of such characteristics such as race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, gender (including pregnancy), affectual or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, age, physical or mental disability or limitation, medical condition, genetic information, or veteran or military status, as well as any other legally protected class of persons and acts, in accordance with applicable State and Federal laws.