Performs pre-analytical functions including receiving and preparing specimens for testing.
Also–performs a variety of laboratory tests, waived and some moderately complex. Processes microbiology samples
- Accurately accessions, collects and labels specimens promptly, either through the pneumatic tube or manual drop-off.
- Troubleshoots any related errors and does corrective action.
- Answers all phone calls, transfers appropriately, faxes from LIS or manually. Answers phone calls and able to respond with appropriate response or can research answer.
- Performs registration process for outreach and orders tests in LIS. Knows how to do add-on-test. Aware of specimen stability for add-on testing.
- Performs required daily maintenance including temperatures, restocking and inventory of supplies, preps quality control of calibration material of instrumentation.
- Prepares specimens for analysis by adhering to proper centrifugation procedures. Processing of send out specimens according to proper reference lab requirements. Preps specimens for assaying, performs waived testing, plating of microbiology specimen accordingly. Prepares slides and stains.
- Receives urine specimens promptly. Accurately processes and splits samples with proper labeling, and manages rotation of specimens. Delivers specimens to proper department in timely manner.
- Resolves daily the RSO (Outstanding Specimen Log). Knows when and how to compare if tests can be added or to existing specimen (ex: stool testing)
- Trains new employees according to orientation checklists and within given timeframe.
- Uses the Electronic Health Management system (EHIM) to print external reports, retrieve scanned documents and prescriptions.
High School Diploma Or Equivalent Required
Additional Educational Requirements
Plus comprehensive training program provided by Laboratory supervisors.
Additional Experience Requirements
Phlebotomy experience preferred, but not required.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
Must demonstrate computer aptitude and a willingness and ability to learn new skills. Strong professional, organizational, and interpersonal skills to effectively relate with all members of the healthcare team.
CentraState Healthcare System, a partner of Atlantic Health System, is a fully accredited, not-for-profit, community-based health system that provides comprehensive health services in the central New Jersey region. In addition to offering a full range of leading-edge diagnostic and treatment options, CentraState serves as a valuable health partner focused on the latest ways to prevent disease, promote healthy behaviors, and help people of all ages live life well. Based in Freehold, CentraState is comprised of a 284-bed acute-care hospital, a vibrant health and wellness campus, three award-winning senior living communities, a charitable foundation, and convenient satellite health pavilions offering primary care and specialty physician practices, along with access to outpatient services, such as lab and physical therapy. The system also offers a family medicine residency and geriatric fellowship training program in affiliation with Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School. Among its many honors and accreditations, CentraState is one of less than two percent of hospitals nationwide to earn Magnet® designation for nursing excellence four times and was designated a Great Place to Work-Certified™ Company by Great Place to Work® for the second consecutive year.
When you bring your talent to CentraState, you are joining a trailblazing healthcare facility, committed to providing high-quality, patient-focused care. Join us in making incredible strides in health care, and making a difference in our community. We believe in enriching the lives of our employees through work/life balance initiatives, tuition assistance, career advancement opportunities and much more.
Find out why our employees love their jobs and being part of the CentraState family!
What We Offer:
- Highly competitive compensation
- Excellent benefits package and rewards program
- 403(b) retirement plan with company match
- 401(a) retirement plan with employer contribution
- Life Insurance
- Tuition Reimbursement Program
- Profit Sharing Program
- Growth Opportunity and Workforce Development Initiatives
- Continuing Education / Onsite Training
- A warm, welcoming company culture based upon mutual respect and a collaborative goal of providing excellent patient care
- Concierge Services with Work & Family Benefits
- Magnet recognized healthcare facility
At CentraState Healthcare System, we welcome and promote the diversity of our employee family! Each unique person contributes to the overall success of this organization. Our inclusive culture fosters an environment of professionalism and respect for personal differences.
CentraState Healthcare System, is an equal employment opportunity employer and federal contractor or subcontractor and, therefore, abides by applicable laws to protect applicants and employees from discrimination in hiring, promotion, discharge, pay, fringe benefits, job training, classification, referral, and other aspects of employment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, sexual or affectional orientation, national origin or nationality, citizenship status, disability, age, genetics, protected veteran status, ancestry, marital status.