Reporting to the AVP of Nursing, coordinates labor budget staffing needs and analytics in the Nursing Department. Determines staffing needs, budget analysis productivity, scheduling, agency need, and forecasting seasonal variations.
- Works with software vendor to maintain up-to-date knowledge of scheduling system, including any product upgrades or support issues, use and educating managers.
- Utilizes staffing matrix and acuity in determining staffing levels. Adjusts accordingly.
- Manages the acuity system and makes recommendations.
- Assigns safety companions / sitters.
- Approves overtime if needed and monitors to budget for all nursing cost centers.
- Coordinates staffing with agencies and communicates issues with DON.
- Reviews all billing statements and adjusts discrepancies for agencies.
- Coordinates a list of approved agency staff with accordance to NJHA approved agency vendors.
- Assists staffing office personnel with phone calls and duties
- Responsible for planning and controlling labor resources, equipment, and supplies to provide competitive, cost effective nursing service to patients.
- Facilitates recruitment; provides thorough employee understanding to maximize productivity and minimize turnover.
- Establishes detailed work force management plan to address ongoing staffing needs and including adherence to productivity standards
- Coaches managers in providing a cost effective nursing service.
- Reviews current scheduling policies and adjusts to utilization needs in collaboration with managers.
- Maintains data collection for staffing and resource utilization by shift and day of week.
- Develops productivity measurement tools for staff performance.
- Drives and supports nursing-related projects including overseeing logistics, performing analysis and making presentations.
- Contributes to process improvement projects in support of patient care.
- Provides project management and support to the nursing division.
- Collects and reports on nursing data, metrics, and dashboards.
- Assists with cost management goals by providing clinical and financial business intelligence to stakeholders, sub-teams and initiatives.
- Evaluates the results of overall nursing operations regularly and systemically and reports these results to the Chief Nursing Officer and AVP of Nursing.
- Monitors expenses and justifies variances of (+/-) 5 percent of budget.
- Projects potential operational and capital expenses and factors financial need into budget.
- Completes operational budgeting process in the designated time frame and presents the budget to nursing administration.
- Evaluates capital equipment requests against projected ROI and works with nursing staff to obtain support for cost containment.
- Communicates budget allocations to managers.
- Identifies new programs for development.
- Participates or serves as a nursing representative on hospital and financial committees related to nursing services.
- Establishes scheduling policies/procedures to maximize bed and staff utilization.
- Provides monthly census trend reports and addresses perceived trends.
- Uses national and area standards/benchmarks to plan and organize nursing operations.
- Lead nursing operations toward budgeted profit results and other financial benchmarking standards.
- Determine nursing’s progress toward stated goals and objectives by reviewing financial, operational, and forecast data.
Bachelor’s degree in Business required. Master’s preferred.
Masters required or must obtain Master’s degree within 3 years from date of hire (or internal transfer) as a condition of employment.
Two (2) years’ business analytics experience.
Healthcare experience strongly preferred.
Licenses and Certifications:
Registered Nurse preferred.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
Ability to use standard office equipment, including computer, copier, multi-line phones and facsimile machines. Strong analytical, forecasting, problem solving and organizational skills. Must be decisive but collaborative in decision making. Must have good financial acumen and industry knowledge Strong interpersonal skills to effectively relate with all members of the healthcare team.
Works in a normal hospital environment with frequent exposure to sick or injured patients.
No expected exposure to blood and/or body fluids.
Sitting – Continuously
Standing/Walking – Occasionally
Kneeling/Stooping – Rarely
Bending/Climbing – Rarely
Reaching above shoulder, at waist or below waist – Rarely
Lifting/Pushing or Pulling up to 40 pounds – Rarely
Lifting/Pushing or Pulling over 40 pounds – Never
Typing/Filing – Continuously
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
CentraState Healthcare System prohibits discrimination based on arbitrary consideration of such characteristics such as race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, gender (including pregnancy), affectual or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, age, physical or mental disability or limitation, medical condition, genetic information, or veteran or military status, as well as any other legally protected class of persons and acts, in accordance with applicable State and Federal laws.