Administers culturally sensitive nursing care to assigned patients that is in accordance with ANA standards, the NJ Practice Act, Joint Commission, professional standards and established hospital and Nursing Department policy and procedures in accordance with evidence based nursing practice. Utilizes the Nursing Process in providing patient centered care. Evaluates the effectiveness of nursing care through the analysis of nurse sensitive indicators and patient outcomes. Orientation will include satisfactory completion of CPR Certification. A patient focused care model utilizing a multidisciplinary approach is used as the method to deliver patient care.
- Acts as a resource to physicians, staff, patients and families.
- Utilizes the Nursing Administrative Coordinator as needed.
- Communicates with physician providers throughout shift for patient status updates.
- Facilitates admissions, discharges, and transfers in and out of the unit.
- Completes discharges of patients, including medication teaching and follow up appointments.
- Accepts patients from ED and completes documentation required.
- Receives handoff report. May accept patient upon arrival to unit.
- Assists in inpatient admission transfers.
- Successfully functions as a Charge Nurse, making decisions in the absence of the Nurse Manager.
- Directs nursing personnel in emergency situation (i.e. fire) to assure patient safety.
- Relays pertinent handoff information concerning patients’ condition to appropriate personnel, staff nurse.
- Supports cost containment through efficient use of equipment, supplies and other pertinent resources.
- Reports unusual occurrences to appropriate personnel and ensure that proper and supporting documentation is completed.
- Delegates components of care to non-professional caregivers as appropriate. Follows up on any delegated components of care and assignments given.
- Ensures all required logs and code cart are checked for shift.
- Ensures that the narcotic count is completed. Investigates any discrepancies noted immediately.
- Demonstrates ability to assist in patient complaint issues.
- After gathering appropriate patient status information, attends bed meeting.
- Collaborates with RN’s to expedite patient throughput.
- Responds to medical emergencies on the observation unit.
- Coordinates staffing needs with assistance from the Staffing Office and/or administrative support.
- Participates in unit conferences to discuss quality issues and quality improvement strategies. Offers ideas to improve processes for patient safety.
- Participates in the nursing performance improvement data collection process as assigned.
- Collaborates with department manager monthly to review Observation scorecard and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Utilizes Just Culture algorithms to coach staff in real time.
- Utilizes and manages the throughput Teletracking system to meet the goals as established in the strategic plan.
Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing required.
Three years of clinical nursing experience required.
Licenses and Certifications:
RN license/NJ required.
BLS certification required.
ACLS certification required.
Works in a normal hospital environment with frequent exposure to sick or injured patients.
Daily potential for exposure to blood and/or body fluids.
Sitting – Rarely
Standing/Walking – Continuously
Kneeling/Stooping – Occasionally
Bending/Climbing – Occasionally
Reaching above shoulder, at waist or below waist – Occasionally
Lifting/Pushing or Pulling up to 40 pounds – Occasionally
Lifting/Pushing or Pulling over 40 pounds – Occasionally
Typing/Filing – Frequently
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
At CentraState, we welcome and promote the diversity of our employee family! Each unique person contributes to the overall success of this organization. Our inclusive culture fosters an environment of professionalism and respect for personal differences.
Additionally, CentraState Healthcare System prohibits discrimination based on arbitrary consideration of such characteristics such as race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, gender (including pregnancy), affectual or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, age, physical or mental disability or limitation, medical condition, genetic information, or veteran or military status, as well as any other legally protected class of persons and acts, in accordance with applicable State and Federal laws.