CentraState Healthcare System, headquartered in Freehold, New Jersey is a leading non – profit healthcare delivery system in New Jersey. The System includes CentraState Medical Center , and a charitable foundation. As the 3rd largest employer in Monmouth County, CentraState Healthcare System continues to live up to its reputation of being a truly great place to work recently designated a Great Place to Work-Certified™ company.
Assists the Nurse Manager in planning, directing and supervising the overall operation of the Emergency Department (ED) and the Observation Unit on a 24-hour basis.
Functions as a clinical resource and educator throughout the System, for ED staff members, EMS, and the community. Works within the department and as a part CentraState’s management team to operationalize the patient care and service goals and objectives established by senior management.
Orientation and annual renewals will include satisfactory completion of non-violent crisis intervention.
- Assists the Department Head in the continuing effort made by the department to improve the quality of patient care and services.
- Provides considerate respectful care focused upon the patients’ individual needs.
- Affirms the patient’s right to make decisions regarding his/her medical care, including the decision to discontinue treatment, to the extent permitted by law.
- Demonstrates the ability to obtain information and interpret information in terms of the needs of the age of the patients cared for. Demonstrates an understanding of the range of care needed based on the age of the patients cared for. Successfully completes life-span education as appropriate.
- Obtains a complete nursing history and baseline assessment that is systematic, consistent, and continuous. This assessment is communicated effectively and documented.
- Appropriately analyzes health status data to determine nursing diagnosis and needs for appropriate nursing care, medical intervention or services of other clinical professionals.
- Identifies patient problems and formulates nursing diagnosis according to physical, psychological, spiritual/cultural and educational needs in conjunction with a multi-disciplinary approach.
- Administers medications as needed following CSHS policies and manufacturer’s instructions.
- Takes immediate and appropriate actions in the event of a medication variance occurrence.
- Attends and participates in the multi-disciplinary discharge planning meetings and identifies the need for further services following discharge.
- Provides appropriate education based upon teaching plan.
- Meets standards for documentation regarding patient education.
- Documents results of patient assessment, nursing diagnosis, care plan nursing interventions and evaluation and patient progress in Medical Records, Nursing Standards of Care/Practice for the specific patient type.
- Recognizes changes in patient condition and/or emergencies situations and takes immediate and appropriate actions.
- Delegates components of care to non-professional caregivers as appropriate and evaluates outcomes.
- Makes decisions that demonstrate knowledge of nursing practice. Utilizes sound nursing judgment in clinical and patient care management situations.
- Demonstrates critical thinking skills in the care of patients and in the coordination of care to assure the achievement of maximum outcome.
- Maintains RN competencies required for Emergency department and Observation Unit. Supports and assists staff in daily operations as required.
- Participates in the development of unit policies and protocols as needed. Periodically reviews and revises policies, meeting with appropriate committees for approval process.
- Collects, analyzes quality indicators for the Emergency department and Observation unit in collaboration with the Nurse Manager.
- Develops action plans and reports quality initiatives in the Emergency department and Observation Unit to committees and meetings.
- Acts as resource for the Emergency Department and Observation Unit staff.
- In collaboration with Nurse Manager, disciplines employees and completes and delivers performance appraisals.
- Performs clinical duties (Charge RN, Triage RN, etc) during periods of short staffing.
- Continually monitors patient flow throughout the Emergency department and Observation Unit.
- Participates in unit conferences to discuss quality issues and quality improvement strategies.
- Consistently adheres to hospital policy regarding the insertion, maintenance and removal of foley catheters.
- Able to verbalize and demonstrate proper rationale and techniques surrounding all aspects of indwelling urinary catheter care as per policy # 4668.
- Fulfills the requirements for competencies and completion of annual mandatories surrounding indwelling urinary catheters.
- Takes a patient assignment when necessary.
Bachelor’s degree required.
Masters’ degree required or must obtain within 3 years from date of hire (or internal transfer) as a condition of employment.
Minimum three to five years related nursing experience required; previous supervisory experience preferred.
Leadership experience required.
Licenses and Certifications:
Registered Nurse with current NJ license required.
BLS certification required.
CSMC IV certification required.
Certification in specialty area required.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
Strong professional, organizational, and interpersonal skills to effectively relate with all members of the healthcare team.
CentraState Healthcare System, a partner of Atlantic Health System, is a fully accredited, not-for-profit, community-based health system that provides comprehensive health services in the central New Jersey region. In addition to offering a full range of leading-edge diagnostic and treatment options, CentraState serves as a valuable health partner focused on the latest ways to prevent disease, promote healthy behaviors, and help people of all ages live life well. Based in Freehold, CentraState is comprised of a 284-bed acute-care hospital, a vibrant health and wellness campus, three award-winning senior living communities, a charitable foundation, and convenient satellite health pavilions offering primary care and specialty physician practices, along with access to outpatient services, such as lab and physical therapy. The system also offers a family medicine residency and geriatric fellowship training program in affiliation with Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School. Among its many honors and accreditations, CentraState is one of less than two percent of hospitals nationwide to earn Magnet® designation for nursing excellence four times and was designated a Great Place to Work-Certified™ Company by Great Place to Work® for the second consecutive year.
When you bring your talent to CentraState, you are joining a trailblazing healthcare facility, committed to providing high-quality, patient-focused care. Join us in making incredible strides in health care, and making a difference in our community. We believe in enriching the lives of our employees through work/life balance initiatives, tuition assistance, career advancement opportunities and much more.
Find out why our employees love their jobs and being part of the CentraState family!
What We Offer:
- Highly competitive compensation
- Excellent benefits package and rewards program
- 403(b) retirement plan with company match
- 401(a) retirement plan with employer contribution
- Life Insurance
- Tuition Reimbursement Program
- Profit Sharing Program
- Growth Opportunity and Workforce Development Initiatives
- Continuing Education / Onsite Training
- A warm, welcoming company culture based upon mutual respect and a collaborative goal of providing excellent patient care
- Concierge Services with Work & Family Benefits
- Magnet recognized healthcare facility
At CentraState Healthcare System, we welcome and promote the diversity of our employee family! Each unique person contributes to the overall success of this organization. Our inclusive culture fosters an environment of professionalism and respect for personal differences.
CentraState Healthcare System, is an equal employment opportunity employer and federal contractor or subcontractor and, therefore, abides by applicable laws to protect applicants and employees from discrimination in hiring, promotion, discharge, pay, fringe benefits, job training, classification, referral, and other aspects of employment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, sexual or affectional orientation, national origin or nationality, citizenship status, disability, age, genetics, protected veteran status, ancestry, marital status.