Clinical Leader assists the Nurse Manager in planning, directing and supervising the overall operation of the assigned nursing unit on a 24-hour basis. Functions as a clinical resource and educator to unit/department staff members in area of expertise. Works within the department and as a part CSHS management team to operationalize the patient care and service goals and objectives established by senior management. Bases clinical decisions on evidence-based practice in nursing to achieve desirable outcomes. A patient focused care model utilizing a multidisciplinary approach is used as the method to deliver patient care in the department.
- Assists the Department Head in the continuing effort made by the department to improve the quality of patient care and services.
- Provides considerate respectful care focused upon the patients’ individual needs.
- Affirms the patient’s right to make decisions regarding his/her medical care, including the decision to discontinue treatment, to the extent permitted by law.
- Demonstrates the ability to obtain information and interpret information in terms of the needs of the age of the patients cared for. Demonstrates an understanding of the range of care needed based on the age of the patients cared for. Successfully completes life-span education as appropriate.
- Successfully completes life-span education as appropriate.
- Obtains a complete nursing history and baseline assessment that is systematic, consistent, and continuous. This assessment is communicated effectively and documented.
- Appropriately analyzes health status data to determine nursing diagnosis and needs for appropriate nursing care, medical intervention or services of other clinical professionals.
- Identifies patient problems and formulates nursing diagnosis according to physical, psychological, spiritual/cultural and educational needs in conjunction with a multi-disciplinary approach.
- Consistently includes patient and family in the development of an individualized plan of care.
- Administers medications as needed following CSHS policies and manufacturer’s instructions.
- Takes immediate and appropriate actions in the event of a medication variance occurrence.
- Attends and participates in the multi-disciplinary discharge planning meetings and identifies the need for further services following discharge.
- Provides appropriate education based upon teaching plan.
- Conducts unit based education programs on a routine basis in collaboration with professional development.
- Meets standards for documentation regarding patient education.
- Documents results of patient assessment, nursing diagnosis, care plan nursing interventions and evaluation and patient progress in Medical Records, Nursing Standards of Care/Practice for the specific patient type.
- Recognizes changes in patient condition and/or emergencies situations and takes immediate and appropriate actions.
- Delegates components of care to non-professional caregivers as appropriate and evalutates outcomes.
- Makes decisions that demonstrate knowledge of nursing practice. Utilizes sound nursing judgment in clinical and patient care management situations.
- Demonstrates critical thinking skills in the care of patients and in the coordination of care to assure the achievement of maximum outcome.
- Develops new clinical pathways, monitors patient progress on current clinical pathways, reviews variances with Patient Care Reviewers, reviews variances from Quality Management with Nurse Manager, staff and reports to Nursing Quality Council.
- Follows the clinical progress of all patients. Participates in the development of unit protocols as needed.
- Conducts unit conferences to discuss quality issues and quality improvement strategies.
- Quality Referrals – unit based, follows up on nursing referrals, investigates problem, develops action plan, reviews with Nurse Manager, responds to Quality Management in writing, implements action plan.
- Follows up on patient complaints or concerns, keeps Nurse Manager informed.
- Provides or coordinates in-services to staff six times per year or as needed to address unit specific needs.
- Monitors appropriate usage of specialty and Zonaire beds.
- Consistently adheres to hospital policy regarding the insertion, maintenance and removal of foley catheters.
- Able to verbalize and demonstrate proper rationale and techniques surrounding all aspects of indwelling urinary catheter care as per policy # 4668.
- Fulfills the requirements for competencies and completion of annual mandatories surrounding indwelling urinary catheters.
- Takes a patient assignment when necessary.
- Bachelor’s degree in nursing required.
- Masters’ degree in nursing required or must obtain masters’ degree within 3 years from date of hire (or internal transfer) as a condition of employment.
- Two years nursing experienced required.
- Supervisory experience preferred.
Licenses and Certifications:
- RN License/New Jersey required.
- BLS certification required.
- CSMC IV Certification required.
- Certification in specialty area required. Certification in specialty must be obtained within two (2) years of hire/promotion.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong professional, organizational, and interpersonal skills to effectively relate with all members of the healthcare team.
CentraState Healthcare System, a partner of Atlantic Health System, is a fully accredited, not-for-profit, community-based health system that provides comprehensive health services in the central New Jersey region. In addition to offering a full range of leading-edge diagnostic and treatment options, CentraState serves as a valuable health partner focused on the latest ways to prevent disease, promote healthy behaviors, and help people of all ages live life well. Based in Freehold, CentraState is comprised of a 284-bed acute-care hospital, a vibrant health and wellness campus, three award-winning senior living communities, a charitable foundation, and convenient satellite health pavilions offering primary care and specialty physician practices, along with access to outpatient services, such as lab and physical therapy. The system also offers a family medicine residency and geriatric fellowship training program in affiliation with Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School. Among its many honors and accreditations, CentraState is one of less than two percent of hospitals nationwide to earn Magnet® designation for nursing excellence four times and was designated a Great Place to Work-Certified™ Company by Great Place to Work® for the second consecutive year.
When you bring your talent to CentraState, you are joining a trailblazing healthcare facility, committed to providing high-quality, patient-focused care. Join us in making incredible strides in health care, and making a difference in our community. We believe in enriching the lives of our employees through work/life balance initiatives, tuition assistance, career advancement opportunities and much more.
Find out why our employees love their jobs and being part of the CentraState family!
What We Offer:
- Highly competitive compensation
- Excellent benefits package and rewards program
- 403(b) retirement plan with company match
- 401(a) retirement plan with employer contribution
- Life Insurance
- Tuition Reimbursement Program
- Profit Sharing Program
- Growth Opportunity and Workforce Development Initiatives
- Continuing Education / Onsite Training
- A warm, welcoming company culture based upon mutual respect and a collaborative goal of providing excellent patient care
- Concierge Services with Work & Family Benefits
- Magnet recognized healthcare facility
At CentraState Healthcare System, we welcome and promote the diversity of our employee family! Each unique person contributes to the overall success of this organization. Our inclusive culture fosters an environment of professionalism and respect for personal differences.
CentraState Healthcare System, is an equal employment opportunity employer and federal contractor or subcontractor and, therefore, abides by applicable laws to protect applicants and employees from discrimination in hiring, promotion, discharge, pay, fringe benefits, job training, classification, referral, and other aspects of employment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, sexual or affectional orientation, national origin or nationality, citizenship status, disability, age, genetics, protected veteran status, ancestry, marital status.