Under the direction of Community Wellness Supervisor & Population Health Director develops plans, organizes, implements, markets, teaches, and evaluates health education programs for community members, professionals, and employees in the CentraState Healthcare System service area. Works with the Managers to coordinate the department service goals.
- Collaborates with the Community Wellness Supervisor & Population Health Director, to establish department-wide community health education goals and objectives.
- Reviews need assessments of target population to identify areas of greatest need.
- Develops course curricula to meet the needs of the population.
- Researches current health education trends and reviews evidence-based curricula to stay current in wellness, disease prevention & management, as well as population health management.
- Plans, organizes and implements high quality health education programs.
- Teaches programs on a wide variety of age-appropriate subject matter which may include but is not limited to: Life Skills, diabetes prevention & management, weight loss, smoking cessation, bullying prevention, drug abuse prevention, nutrition, exercise, stress management, CPR, babysitting.
- Reviews educational materials periodically for current relevant data, and revises as necessary.
- Demonstrates understanding of the stages of life and uses effective teaching strategies and methodologies to provide appropriate facilitation of learning for the target audience.
- Counsels consumers in person and telephonically on individual health risks and guides them to take necessary action to prevent migration to a higher risks level by referring to appropriate resources.
- Coordinates professional development workshops, arranging for speakers, marketing, and implementing events.
- Mentors and supports training of new instructors.
- Collaborates with grant writer and foundation on appropriate grant applications.
- Collaborates with school systems, community centers and other external partners to engage the community in health & wellness activities.
- Works with the Population Health Data Analyst to track and measure participant satisfaction and program outcomes.
- Prepares program schedule in advance to allow sufficient time for marketing of programs.
- Assists administrative staff in the scheduling of classes when necessary.
- Implements multiple marketing strategies to promote programs to target groups.
- Distributes and collects of evaluation forms from program participants and shares data with Population Health Data Analyst, Community Wellness Supervisor & Population Health Director
- Revises course content and/or teaching methodologies as indicated by participant evaluations.
- Communicates with colleagues prior to programs to determine specific needs of the target audience.
- Oversees the assignment of classes for the most effective utilization of personnel.
- Assists with the maintenance of equipment, identification of equipment problems and takes appropriate corrective action as needed.
- Intervenes when appropriate to identify changes in priority or to address unanticipated problems.
- Contacts unsatisfied participants to resolve any conflicts in a timely manner.
- Assists with Health Awareness Center special functions and screenings; which may include but is not limited to metabolic analysis, blood pressure, and glucose.
- Keeps abreast of happenings within the department and System in order to effectively represent CentraState to the community.
- Acts as a technical resource to staff and resolves problems or refers to manager as appropriate.
- Maintains an adequate level of supplies to deliver quality customer service.
- Provides timely input to the department head regarding budgetary needs.
- Ensures all expenditures are within budgetary guidelines and explores sources of revenue for existing and future programming.
Bachelor’s – Required
Licenses and Certifications:
Certified Health Education Specialist CHES required or
Master Certified Health Education Specialist MCHES required or
Certified Teacher required or
Certified Lifestyle Coach (LSC) – [CDC-approved for the National Diabetes Prevention Program] required
(must obtain one of the above certifications within 6 months of hire)
Required Knowledge and Skills:
Strong professional, organizational, and interpersonal skills to effectively relate with all members of the healthcare team.
CentraState Healthcare System, a partner of Atlantic Health System, is a fully accredited, not-for-profit, community-based health system that provides comprehensive health services in the central New Jersey region. In addition to offering a full range of leading-edge diagnostic and treatment options, CentraState serves as a valuable health partner focused on the latest ways to prevent disease, promote healthy behaviors, and help people of all ages live life well. Based in Freehold, CentraState is comprised of a 284-bed acute-care hospital, a vibrant health and wellness campus, three award-winning senior living communities, a charitable foundation, and convenient satellite health pavilions offering primary care and specialty physician practices, along with access to outpatient services, such as lab and physical therapy. The system also offers a family medicine residency and geriatric fellowship training program in affiliation with Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School. Among its many honors and accreditations, CentraState is one of less than two percent of hospitals nationwide to earn Magnet® designation for nursing excellence four times and was designated a Great Place to Work-Certified™ Company by Great Place to Work® for the second consecutive year.
When you bring your talent to CentraState, you are joining a trailblazing healthcare facility, committed to providing high-quality, patient-focused care. Join us in making incredible strides in health care, and making a difference in our community. We believe in enriching the lives of our employees through work/life balance initiatives, tuition assistance, career advancement opportunities and much more.
Find out why our employees love their jobs and being part of the CentraState family!
What We Offer:
- Highly competitive compensation
- Excellent benefits package and rewards program
- 403(b) retirement plan with company match
- 401(a) retirement plan with employer contribution
- Life Insurance
- Tuition Reimbursement Program
- Profit Sharing Program
- Growth Opportunity and Workforce Development Initiatives
- Continuing Education / Onsite Training
- A warm, welcoming company culture based upon mutual respect and a collaborative goal of providing excellent patient care
- Concierge Services with Work & Family Benefits
- Magnet recognized healthcare facility
At CentraState Healthcare System, we welcome and promote the diversity of our employee family! Each unique person contributes to the overall success of this organization. Our inclusive culture fosters an environment of professionalism and respect for personal differences.
CentraState Healthcare System, is an equal employment opportunity employer and federal contractor or subcontractor and, therefore, abides by applicable laws to protect applicants and employees from discrimination in hiring, promotion, discharge, pay, fringe benefits, job training, classification, referral, and other aspects of employment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, sexual or affectional orientation, national origin or nationality, citizenship status, disability, age, genetics, protected veteran status, ancestry, marital status.