Under the direction of Manager of Community Wellness /Population Health, develops plans, organizes, implements, markets, teaches, and evaluates health education programs for community members, professionals, and employees in the CentraState Healthcare System service area. Works with the Managers to coordinate the department service goals.
- Collaborates with the Community Wellness/Population Health Manager to establish department-wide community health education goals and objectives.
- Reviews need assessments of target population to identify areas of greatest need.
- Develops course curricula to meet the needs of the population.
- Researches current health education trends and reviews evidence-based curricula to stay current in wellness, disease prevention & management, as well as population health management.
- Plans, organizes and implements high quality health education programs.
- Teaches programs on a wide variety of age-appropriate subject matter which may include but is not limited to: Life Skills, diabetes prevention & management, weight loss, smoking cessation, bullying prevention, drug abuse prevention, nutrition, exercise, stress management, CPR, babysitting.
- Coordinates and teaches Summer Camp and Holiday Camp programs for young learners.
- Reviews educational materials periodically for current relevant data, and revises as necessary.
- Demonstrates understanding of the stages of life and uses effective teaching strategies and methodologies to provide appropriate facilitation of learning for the target audience.
- Counsels consumers in person and telephonically on individual health risks and guides them to take necessary action to prevent migration to a higher risks level by referring to appropriate resources.
- Coordinates professional development workshops, arranging for speakers, marketing, and implementing events.
- Mentors and trains new instructors.
- Collaborates with grant writer and foundation on appropriate grant applications.
- Collaborates with school systems, community centers and other external partners to engage the community in health & wellness activities.
- Works with the Population Health Data Analyst to track and measure participant satisfaction and program outcomes.
- Prepares program schedule in advance to allow sufficient time for marketing of programs.
- Assists administrative staff in the scheduling of classes when necessary.
- Implements multiple marketing strategies to promote programs to target groups.
- Distributes and collects of evaluation forms from program participants and shares data with Population Health Data Analyst and Manager of Community Wellness /Population Health.
- Revises course content and/or teaching methodologies as indicated by participant evaluations.
- Communicates with colleagues prior to programs to determine specific needs of the target audience.
- Oversees the assignment of classes for the most effective utilization of personnel.
- Assists with the maintenance of equipment, identification of equipment problems and takes appropriate corrective action as needed.
- Intervenes when appropriate to identify changes in priority or to address unanticipated problems.
- Contacts unsatisfied participants to resolve any conflicts in a timely manner.
- Assists with Health Awareness Center special functions and screenings; which may include but is not limited to metabolic analysis, blood pressure, glucose.
- Keeps abreast of happenings within the department and System in order to effectively represent CentraState to the community.
- Acts as a technical resource to staff and resolves problems or refers to manager as appropriate.
- Maintains an adequate level of supplies to deliver quality customer service.
- Provides timely input to the department head regarding budgetary needs.
- Ensures all expenditures are within budgetary guidelines and explores sources of revenue for existing and future programming.
Bachelor’s – Required
Licenses and Certifications:
Certified Health Education Specialist CHES required or
Master Certified Health Education Specialist MCHES required or
Certified Teacher required or
Certified Lifestyle Coach (LSC) – [CDC-approved for the National Diabetes Prevention Program] required
Required Knowledge and Skills:
Strong professional, organizational, and interpersonal skills to effectively relate with all members of the healthcare team.
Normal office and classroom environment with occasional visits to locations across the system and off-site. May have occasional exposure to infectious persons in teaching situations.
Potential for exposure to blood and/or body fluids.
Sitting – Frequently
Standing/Walking – Occasionally
Kneeling/Stooping – Rarely
Bending/Climbing – Rarely
Reaching above shoulder, at waist or below waist – Rarely
Lifting/Pushing or Pulling up to 40 pounds – Rarely
Lifting/Pushing or Pulling over 40 pounds – Rarely
Typing/Filing – Frequently
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
At CentraState, we welcome and promote the diversity of our employee family! Each unique person contributes to the overall success of this organization. Our inclusive culture fosters an environment of professionalism and respect for personal differences.
Additionally, CentraState Healthcare System prohibits discrimination based on arbitrary consideration of such characteristics such as race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, gender (including pregnancy), affectual or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, age, physical or mental disability or limitation, medical condition, genetic information, or veteran or military status, as well as any other legally protected class of persons and acts, in accordance with applicable State and Federal laws.