Labor & Delivery, Recovery, & Postpartum: Have you thought about pursuing a career in the rewarding specialty of obstetrics? Experience a unit where you can contribute to roughly 600 births annually, and then go on to care for those new moms and babies during the postpartum period. With the highly appealing nurse to patient ratios of 1 to 1 or 2 for laboring patients and 1 to 3 mother-baby couplets, this is the perfect unit to establish or progress your career in the fulfilling specialty of obstetrics/maternal-child health. The patient population on this unit encompasses care of the antepartum and intrapartum patient during the labor process and/or cesarean section, and care of the mom and newborn couplet after delivery. Additional opportunities exist to hone and enhance skills in breastfeeding/lactation, fetal monitoring, bereavement training, OR training, and potential cross-training to the neonatal unit. With self-scheduling and experienced management, experience a highly fulfilling specialty of obstetrics in a flexible, teamwork-based environment.
CentraState Medical Center is seeking a Health Unit Coordinator / Unit Secretary. The Health Unit Coordinator / Unit Secretary provides receptionist, data entry and clerical services to nursing units.
- Coordinates all phone calls made to physicians, families, interdisciplinary departments and other health care agencies.
- Effectively demonstrates the use of the call bell to locate personnel in order to minimize noise.
- Responds to patient call bells courteously and in a timely manner and relays information/requests to appropriate staff in a timely manner.
- Assists the Eucharistic Minister during communion rounds by providing accurate dietary information.
- Makes copies as requested.
- Maintains daily bedside charting by placing all necessary paperwork in hot boxes on admission and retrieving paperwork at time of discharge.
- Coordinates new admissions and transfers with admitting, other departments, Physicians, Nurse Manager, and other facilities as necessary.
- Sets up and maintains patient charts.
- Accurately completes all required reports and forms within established timeframes. Maintains unit log books.
- Maintains inventory of unit supplies from the Warehouse or Central and replenishes when appropriate.
- Accurately enters patient information, medical orders and patient charges into computer system.
- Coordinates Resident appointments with ancillary departments, diagnostic centers and other health care agencies.
- Notifies nurse immediately for patients in pain/discomfort.
- Verbalizes understanding that pain management is a priority to patient and reports it immediately to the nurse.
- Notifies appropriate personnel of Stat Orders and test results.
- Maintains the correct PAR levels for lab supplies and correctly orders supplies as needed.
- Ensures that lab supplies are not expired. Discards as appropriate.
- Correctly orders unit supplies through Lawson according to PAR levels.
- Participates in the development of monthly work schedules for the secretaries on the nursing unit and ensures timely submission to the nurse manager.
- Signs, dates, and times all doctors’ orders then scans all doctors’ orders to pharmacy.
- Enters doctors’ orders into Sorian.
- Takes CPOE orders off of printer and places in nurse’s box (if D/C to rehab makes a copy of the order before placing in nurse’s box).
- Prints Wellsoft for ER patients.
- Prepares admissions charts for all patients.
- Calls Admitting when patient arrives on the unit.
- Puts patients in bed management for discharge.
- Dismantles charts when patients leave.
- Updates PIB board with patient information, falls precautions, AND, BS, Centra Lines, D/C.
- Prints specimen labels for nurses/techs.
- Checks CPOE Alerts and addresses them (MRI, consults, wound vac).
- Sends faxes as directed by RN.
- Checks fax machine for incoming faxes and files.
- Fills out MRI screening forms (top portion only) then gives to nurse to fill out. Once completed, fax form, face sheet, and order to MRI. Calls film file room and MRI for all EMTALA patients for disc and pick up disc.
- Calls for priest or chaplain as directed by RN.
- Calls EKG to have STAT EKGs read as directed by RN.
- Files H&P, EKGs, consults, MRI reports.
- Orders specialty supplies such as beds from outside vendors as directed by RN.
- Notifies RN of patients on surveillance cameras who may potentially fall.
- Prints patient labels correctly and places labels in designated area.
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- Previous related work experience preferred
- Knowledge of medical terminology helpful
- Strong professional, organizational, and interpersonal skills to effectively relate with all members of the healthcare team Knowledge of medical terminology helpful
CentraState Healthcare System, a partner of Atlantic Health System, is a fully accredited, not-for-profit, community-based health system that provides comprehensive health services in the central New Jersey region. In addition to offering a full range of leading-edge diagnostic and treatment options, CentraState serves as a valuable health partner focused on the latest ways to prevent disease, promote healthy behaviors, and help people of all ages live life well. Based in Freehold, CentraState is comprised of a 284-bed acute-care hospital, a vibrant health and wellness campus, three award-winning senior living communities, a charitable foundation, and convenient satellite health pavilions offering primary care and specialty physician practices, along with access to outpatient services, such as lab and physical therapy. The system also offers a family medicine residency and geriatric fellowship training program in affiliation with Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School. Among its many honors and accreditations, CentraState is one of less than two percent of hospitals nationwide to earn Magnet® designation for nursing excellence four times and was designated a Great Place to Work-Certified™ Company by Great Place to Work® for the second consecutive year.
When you bring your talent to CentraState, you are joining a trailblazing healthcare facility, committed to providing high-quality, patient-focused care. Join us in making incredible strides in health care, and making a difference in our community. We believe in enriching the lives of our employees through work/life balance initiatives, tuition assistance, career advancement opportunities and much more.
Find out why our employees love their jobs and being part of the CentraState family!
What We Offer:
- Highly competitive compensation
- Excellent benefits package and rewards program
- 403(b) retirement plan with company match
- 401(a) retirement plan with employer contribution
- Life Insurance
- Tuition Reimbursement Program
- Profit Sharing Program
- Growth Opportunity and Workforce Development Initiatives
- Continuing Education / Onsite Training
- A warm, welcoming company culture based upon mutual respect and a collaborative goal of providing excellent patient care
- Concierge Services with Work & Family Benefits
- Magnet recognized healthcare facility
At CentraState Healthcare System, we welcome and promote the diversity of our employee family! Each unique person contributes to the overall success of this organization. Our inclusive culture fosters an environment of professionalism and respect for personal differences.
CentraState Healthcare System, is an equal employment opportunity employer and federal contractor or subcontractor and, therefore, abides by applicable laws to protect applicants and employees from discrimination in hiring, promotion, discharge, pay, fringe benefits, job training, classification, referral, and other aspects of employment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, sexual or affectional orientation, national origin or nationality, citizenship status, disability, age, genetics, protected veteran status, ancestry, marital status.