Medical/Surgical (ACE) 3-North: Joining this forty-two-bed unit can be a very rewarding step to initially pursue, or to further expand on your already established career in med/surg nursing. With a patient population encompassing mostly medical patients, with roughly 65-70% of the patients being geriatric, the educational and professional opportunities abound. Caring for the elderly population has the potential to bring both personal and professional satisfaction and growth, as this subset of patients have a lot to offer from every facet of nursing. Increase your skillset and your efficiency conducting procedures, while gaining patience and gratitude for this fulfilling patient population.
CentraState Medical Center has an employment opportunity for a Health Unit Coordinator / Unit Secretary. The Health Unit Coordinator / Unit Secretary coordinates flow of activity on the unit. Provides receptionist, data entry and clerical services to nursing unit.
- Answers phones politely and according to telephone etiquette scripting. Coordinates texts/calls to physicians, families, interdisciplinary departments and other health care agencies.
- Conducts an in-person greeting, welcome and orientation to the unit for newly admitted and transferred patients.
- Escorts/directs patients, families, visitors to rooms on unit and common destinations.
- Maintains inventory of unit supplies from the Warehouse or Central and replenishes when appropriate.
- Maintains the correct PAR levels for lab supplies and correctly orders supplies as needed.
- Ensures that lab supplies are not expired. Discards as appropriate.
- Correctly orders unit supplies through Lawson according to PAR levels.
- Requests/orders office supplies from Staples and supplies for copier/fax machines.
- Orders specialty supplies such as beds from outside vendors as directed by RN.
- Enters facility and Environmental Services work orders with follow up on identified issues to completion.
- Performs performance improvement audits as per Nurse Manager, i.e., handwashing.
- Responds to patient call bells courteously and in a timely manner and relays information/requests to appropriate staff in a timely manner. Notifies nurse immediately for patients in pain/discomfort.
- Coordinates new admissions, discharges and transfers in EPIC and with admitting, other departments, Physicians, Nurse Manager, and other facilities as necessary.
- Prepares and maintains patient charts as per Chart Lite policy.
- Notifies the nurse of patients on surveillance cameras who may potentially fall.
- Assists other units when necessary.
- Performs hourly rounding:
- Performs environmental rounds to ensure a safe a risk-free environment.
- Updates white boards in patient rooms as indicated by nursing leadership.
- May retrieve non-medical items for patients, i.e., blankets, tissues, etc.
- Educates new admissions on iTigr system and use of TV.
- Completes EPIC Downtime Responsibilities which include:
- Maintenance of downtime documentation forms
- Daily audits to ensure enough paper and toner is available on printer
- BCA computer is on and reports are printing correctly. A census list will be printed daily.
- Develops and maintains staff schedules on the nursing unit and enters into API.
- Accurately enters all data into API scheduling system, including switches and education.
- Monitors staff’s work behavior by keeping manager informed of lateness, OT and call outs.
- Manages daily staffing according to staffing guidelines in conjunction with staffing office, as requested.
- Assists the manager in arranging staff coverage as requested.
- Accurately completes all required reports within established timeframes.
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- Previous related work experience preferred
- Knowledge of medical terminology helpful
- Strong professional, organizational, and interpersonal skills to effectively relate with all members of the healthcare team Knowledge of medical terminology helpful
CentraState Healthcare System, a partner of Atlantic Health System, is a fully accredited, not-for-profit, community-based health system that provides comprehensive health services in the central New Jersey region. In addition to offering a full range of leading-edge diagnostic and treatment options, CentraState serves as a valuable health partner focused on the latest ways to prevent disease, promote healthy behaviors, and help people of all ages live life well. Based in Freehold, CentraState is comprised of a 284-bed acute-care hospital, a vibrant health and wellness campus, three award-winning senior living communities, a charitable foundation, and convenient satellite health pavilions offering primary care and specialty physician practices, along with access to outpatient services, such as lab and physical therapy. The system also offers a family medicine residency and geriatric fellowship training program in affiliation with Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School. Among its many honors and accreditations, CentraState is one of less than two percent of hospitals nationwide to earn Magnet® designation for nursing excellence four times and was designated a Great Place to Work-Certified™ Company by Great Place to Work® for the second consecutive year.
When you bring your talent to CentraState, you are joining a trailblazing healthcare facility, committed to providing high-quality, patient-focused care. Join us in making incredible strides in health care, and making a difference in our community. We believe in enriching the lives of our employees through work/life balance initiatives, tuition assistance, career advancement opportunities and much more.
Find out why our employees love their jobs and being part of the CentraState family!
What We Offer:
- Highly competitive compensation
- Excellent benefits package and rewards program
- 403(b) retirement plan with company match
- 401(a) retirement plan with employer contribution
- Life Insurance
- Tuition Reimbursement Program
- Profit Sharing Program
- Growth Opportunity and Workforce Development Initiatives
- Continuing Education / Onsite Training
- A warm, welcoming company culture based upon mutual respect and a collaborative goal of providing excellent patient care
- Concierge Services with Work & Family Benefits
- Magnet recognized healthcare facility
At CentraState Healthcare System, we welcome and promote the diversity of our employee family! Each unique person contributes to the overall success of this organization. Our inclusive culture fosters an environment of professionalism and respect for personal differences.
CentraState Healthcare System, is an equal employment opportunity employer and federal contractor or subcontractor and, therefore, abides by applicable laws to protect applicants and employees from discrimination in hiring, promotion, discharge, pay, fringe benefits, job training, classification, referral, and other aspects of employment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, sexual or affectional orientation, national origin or nationality, citizenship status, disability, age, genetics, protected veteran status, ancestry, marital status.