Performs maintenance and engineering duties. Additionally required to perform duties of Maintenance Mechanic I.
- Promptly responds to all emergency calls and drills. Demonstrates knowledge of emergency procedures.
- Maintains accurate and complete logs following departmental guidelines.
- Makes constructive recommendations for modification of preventive maintenance system.
- Demonstrates ability to identify system failures and troubleshoot plant equipment in detail to restore to operation or contain problem.
- Ensures all work areas are kept clean and free of safety hazards (shops, mechanical rooms, patient areas, etc.).
- Gives guidance and instruction to mechanics less experienced in a given trade.
- Plans layout, fabricates and recommends material for installations.
- Recommends alternate methods of installation when appropriate.
- Conducts all scheduled rounds, tests and inspections as required.
- Assists in making decisions on all normal and minor repairs and reports major problems to Director or Manager.
- Performs necessary service and repairs to equipment following manufacturer specifications.
- Demonstrates knowledge of plant and specialty equipment (i.e.: sterilizers, dietary equipment, sprinkler systems, ice makers, and other plant and specialty equipment).
- Completes work assignments following proper techniques and departmental standards for quality.
- Is aware of own limitations and refers problems beyond scope of expertise to the Director or Supervisor.
- Reads blueprints or models accurately.
- Takes responsibility for complete, quality and on time completion of job.
- Constructs, finishes, installs, maintains and repairs equipment, systems and facilities related to any craft or combination of same, using power and hand tools and other necessary equipment.
- Is aware of, and follows applicable local, state and federal regulations.
- Performs a variety of semi-skilled and skilled work in various crafts such as carpentry, plumbing, electrical work, sheet metal work, machinist work, painting, welding, masonry.
- Utilizes correct tools and appropriate safety measures when working with power and hand tools.
- Removes snow and ice when required to ensure the safety of CentraState patients, employees, and visitors.
- Advanced Level Mechanical Maintenance PM and repair of Medical Vacuum and Medical air pumps.
- Advanced Level Mechanical Maintenance Medium level of bed and stretcher repairs.
- Advanced Level Mechanical Maintenance High level of wheelchair and over-bed table repairs.
- Medium Level HVAC Maintenance Clean and repair any fan coil units. Assist in repair of larger HVAC units (over 5 lbs. refrigerant).
- Medium Level Electrical Maintenance Replace light bulbs and fluorescent tubes and light fixture lenses.
- Medium Level Electrical Maintenance Replace receptacles and light switches.
- Medium Level Electrical Maintenance Replace equipment fuses. Medium Level Electrical Maintenance Replace ballasts, over-bed light fixture switches and switch cords.
- Medium Plumbing Maintenance Open drain clogs using power snake.
- Medium Plumbing Maintenance Replace drain traps and repairs faucets.
- Medium Plumbing Maintenance Troubleshoot and repair diverter (shower) valves.
- Advanced Finish Maintenance Any wall repair, spackle and painting.
- Advanced Finish Maintenance Repair of any flooring, installation of VCT and carpet tiles.
- Advanced Finish Maintenance Repair and patching of wallpaper.
- High School Diploma or Equivalent required.
Minimum of five years as a Maintenance Mechanic, preferably in a healthcare institution. Two years of trade school or apprenticeship in trade may be substituted for two years of the previous experience requirement.
Licenses and Certifications:
- Low Pressure Black Seal License/New Jersey required or must enroll in Black Seal License class within three months of hire.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Ability to read, comprehend, and transmit complicated detailed instructions in writing and orally.
- Must have a demonstrated expertise in one trade required to meet the vacancy, comprehensive understanding of plant operation and skills in various trades including carpentry, painting, electrical, plumbing, HVAC, and mechanical repairs.
- Strong professional, organizational, and interpersonal skills to effectively relate with all members of the healthcare team.
Some exposure to extreme degrees of heat, noise, dust, dirt and patient areas requiring the use of universal precautions. Works on ladder for extended periods of time and in adverse climactic conditions including roof tops, mechancial rooms, and outside in inclement weather (rain, snow, heat, wind, etc.) Servicing equipment may require awkward and uncomfortable positions due to configuration of the equipment and or it’s location.
Daily potential for exposure to blood and/or body fluids.
Sitting – Rarely
Kneeling/Stooping – Rarely
Bending/Climbing – Occasionally
Reaching above shoulder, at waist or below waist – Rarely
Lifting/Pushing or Pulling up to 40 pounds –
Lifting/Pushing or Pulling over 40 pounds – Occasionally
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
CentraState Healthcare System prohibits discrimination based on arbitrary consideration of such characteristics such as race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, gender (including pregnancy), affectual or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, age, physical or mental disability or limitation, medical condition, genetic information, or veteran or military status, as well as any other legally protected class of persons and acts, in accordance with applicable State and Federal laws.