Performs a variety of maintenance and engineering duties. Works independently within chosen trade to design, implement, and improve systems in accordance with codes and regulations. Serves as lead to a group of Maintenance Mechanics as assigned projects, teaches trade skills to other Mechanics, reviews and approves work of outside vendors, helps write specifications for bid work, and participates in quality assurance programs.
- Plans layout, fabricates and recommends material for installations.
- Recommends alternate methods of installation when appropriate.
- Ensures correct parts are ordered for assigned work and/or stock replenishment.
- Ensures quality parts are obtained for the best price.
- Accurately establishes and writes specifications.
- Reviews vendors bids and make appropriate vendor recommendations.
- Make punch lists as required of outside vendor projects.
- Works with vendors to resolve discrepancies of project related work.
- Ensures projects are completed to specifications prior to approving for payment.
- Demonstrates ability to identify and correct complex building system problems.
- Coordinates work with other employees and various trades to ensure successful completion of job.
- Conducts all scheduled rounds, tests and inspections as required.
- Participates in department’s quality control program.
- Utilizes effective teaching methods to teach specific trade skills to other members of the department.
- Other mechanics demonstrate an understanding of trade following instruction.
- Makes constructive recommendations for modification of preventive maintenance system.
- Assists in making decisions on all normal and minor repairs and reports major problems to Director or Manager.
- Is aware of own limitations and refers problems beyond scope of expertise to the Director or Supervisor.
- Reads blueprints or models accurately.
- Reads blueprints or models to learn work layout or plans own work layout, making routine computations as needed.
- Constructs, finishes, installs, maintains and repairs equipment, systems and facilities related to any craft or combination of same, using power and hand tools and other necessary equipment.
- Maintains accurate and complete logs following departmental guidelines.
- Promptly responds to all emergency calls and drills. Demonstrates knowledge of emergency procedures.
- Utilizes correct tools and appropriate safety measures when working with power and hand tools.
- Performs a variety of semi-skilled and skilled work in various crafts such as carpentry, plumbing, electrical work, sheet metal work, machinist work, painting, welding, masonry.
- Completes work assignments following proper techniques and departmental standards for quality.
- Demonstrates knowledge of plant and specialty equipment (i.e.: sterilizers, dietary equipment, sprinkler systems, ice makers, and other plant and specialty equipment).
- Performs necessary service and repairs to equipment following manufacturer specifications.
- Ensures all work areas are kept clean and free of safety hazards (shops, mechanical rooms, patient areas, etc).
- Removes snow and ice when required to ensure the safety of CentraState patients, residents, employees, emergency personnel, and visitors. Based on population served, as well as nature and hours of operation, staff are required to be on site to perform this essential work extended hours and outside of regularly scheduled hours as needed.
- Is aware of, and follows applicable local, state and federal regulations.
High School Diploma Or Equivalent Required
10 Years Maintenance Experience Required
Health Care Institution Preferred
Additional Experience Requirements
Five of the 10 years of maintenance experience must be in the primary trade. Five years at CentraState with two at the Senior Mechanic level may substitute for two years of experience in trade. Three years of trade school or apprenticeship in trade may be substituted for three years of previous trade experience requirement
Licenses and Certifications:
State of NJ license or state recognized experience in primary trade is required.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
The ability to read, comprehend, and transmit complicated detailed instructions in writing and orally in English is required.
Must have a demonstrated expertise in primary trade, comprehensive understanding of plant operation, and skills in various trades including carpentry, electrical, plumbing, HVAC, and mechanical repairs.
Some exposure to extreme degrees of heat, noise, dust, dirt and patient areas requiring the use of universal precautions. Required to be on snow cleaning team when needed.
Daily potential for exposure to blood and/or body fluids.
Sitting – Rarely
Standing/Walking – Continuously
Kneeling/Stooping – Occasionally
Bending/Climbing – Occasionally
Reaching above shoulder, at waist or below waist – Occasionally
Lifting/Pushing or Pulling up to 40 pounds – Occasionally
Lifting/Pushing or Pulling over 40 pounds – Occasionally
Typing/Filing – Rarely
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
CentraState Healthcare System prohibits discrimination based on arbitrary consideration of such characteristics such as race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, gender (including pregnancy), affectual or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, age, physical or mental disability or limitation, medical condition, genetic information, or veteran or military status, as well as any other legally protected class of persons and acts, in accordance with applicable State and Federal laws.