The Medical Assistant is responsible for phlebotomy, medical office and rehab aide duties at our Jackson outpatient Rehabilitation and lab satellite office.
The medical assistant collects blood specimens on all age groups and preparing specimens for transport to testing lab (s). This is a fast-paced, customer-focused environment with high patient volume. The ability to work independently and efficiently is essential. Self-motivated with excellent customer service skills are a must. An eye for detail and a high degree of accuracy in interpreting physician orders is crucial.
The medical assistant checks-in, registers and schedules patients according to established procedures. Pre-screens patients to determine accurate financial responsibilities. Secures all legal consents and insurance information and obtains pre-certification authorization as appropriate. Support rehab staff in the cleaning and maintenance of equipment and supplies.
Other duties include answering the phone and responding to patient/MD requests for lab results, fasting requirements and hours of operation. Must have reliable transportation and be willing to travel around the service area – Monmouth and Ocean counties. Must be comfortable working alone. Must be willing to drive in bad weather – Outreach operations do not stop during inclement weather
Schedule: Some evenings and Saturdays may be required
Outreach Phlebotomist (50%)
- Collect blood specimens on young children to senior citizens through venipuncture, capillary fingerstick, or heelstick
- Obtain blood according to lab policy and procedure with minimal bruising to patient
- Label tubes appropriately with initials, date and time
- Prepare specimens for shipment to testing lab (s)
- Interpret physician orders and perform computer order entry accurately
- Properly instruct patients in specimen collection, e.g., clean catch urines
- Maintain work area in a clean and orderly manner
- Register patients and perform order entry accurately
- Scan documents into the medical record
- Secure patient signatures on ABN’s
- Secure patient signature on consents
- Rotate and stock supplies and remove expired supplies
- Properly package and call for Registered Medical Waste pick-ups as needed
- Check and record daily room and refrigerator/freezer temperatures, call for remediation as needed.
- Open facility/Close facility
Access Services/Medical Office Assistant (40%)
- Registers, schedules and verifies each account in hospital registration system following all departmental procedures to ensure compliance with state and federal regulations.
- Monitor Patient Check-in and advise clinical staff accordingly.
- Schedule patients according to established procedures.
- Perform Walk in registrations for the Laboratory area
- Review insurance verification/obligations with patient.
- Secure all legal consents and insurance information.
- Provide clerical support to clinical staff.
- Answer incoming Department calls.
- Contact Physician offices to obtain necessary documents.
Rehabilitation Aide (10%)
- Perform rehab aide duties to support the clinical staff including:
- Check and record hydrocollator and freezer temps
- Stock and restock towels, sheets, and pillow cases within the rehab space
- Organize treatment areas
- Clean equipment and change linens in between patients
- Cleans/put away pediatric toys and equipment after use
- Check inventory including office and medical supplies and notify staff of supply orders needed. Restock as received.
- High School Diploma or Equivalent required
- Phlebotomy experience required (draw site or inpatient preferred)
- Experience as certified phlebotomy technician preferred (Outreach)
- Phlebotomy certification preferred – ASCP or NHA
- Previous hospital experience in scheduling, registration or billing preferred.
- Knowledge of medical terminology and strong customer service skills.
- Knowledge of EPIC front desk preferred
- Must be highly organized and capable of multi tasking
- Proficient computer skills required for registering patients and ordering lab tests
- Strong professional, organizational, and interpersonal skills to effectively relate with all members of the healthcare team
CentraState Healthcare System, a partner of Atlantic Health System, is a fully accredited, not-for-profit, community-based health system that provides comprehensive health services in the central New Jersey region. In addition to offering a full range of leading-edge diagnostic and treatment options, CentraState serves as a valuable health partner focused on the latest ways to prevent disease, promote healthy behaviors, and help people of all ages live life well. Based in Freehold, CentraState is comprised of a 284-bed acute-care hospital, a vibrant health and wellness campus, three award-winning senior living communities, a charitable foundation, and convenient satellite health pavilions offering primary care and specialty physician practices, along with access to outpatient services, such as lab and physical therapy. The system also offers a family medicine residency and geriatric fellowship training program in affiliation with Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School. Among its many honors and accreditations, CentraState is one of less than two percent of hospitals nationwide to earn Magnet® designation for nursing excellence four times and was designated a Great Place to Work-Certified™ Company by Great Place to Work® for the second consecutive year.
When you bring your talent to CentraState, you are joining a trailblazing healthcare facility, committed to providing high-quality, patient-focused care. Join us in making incredible strides in health care, and making a difference in our community. We believe in enriching the lives of our employees through work/life balance initiatives, tuition assistance, career advancement opportunities and much more.
Find out why our employees love their jobs and being part of the CentraState family!
What We Offer:
- Highly competitive compensation
- Excellent benefits package and rewards program
- 403(b) retirement plan with company match
- 401(a) retirement plan with employer contribution
- Life Insurance
- Tuition Reimbursement Program
- Profit Sharing Program
- Growth Opportunity and Workforce Development Initiatives
- Continuing Education / Onsite Training
- A warm, welcoming company culture based upon mutual respect and a collaborative goal of providing excellent patient care
- Concierge Services with Work & Family Benefits
- Magnet recognized healthcare facility
At CentraState Healthcare System, we welcome and promote the diversity of our employee family! Each unique person contributes to the overall success of this organization. Our inclusive culture fosters an environment of professionalism and respect for personal differences.
CentraState Healthcare System, is an equal employment opportunity employer and federal contractor or subcontractor and, therefore, abides by applicable laws to protect applicants and employees from discrimination in hiring, promotion, discharge, pay, fringe benefits, job training, classification, referral, and other aspects of employment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, sexual or affectional orientation, national origin or nationality, citizenship status, disability, age, genetics, protected veteran status, ancestry, marital status.