Operating Room Assistant (ORA) functions as a member of the surgical team under the direct supervision of a RN. Responsible for transporting patients from their rooms to surgery, from one area to another within the department of surgical services and the hospital. Responsible for additional functions including assisting in general cleaning, running errands, relaying messages, assisting with patient care and room turnover.
- Correctly identifies patients and safely transports them to and from the operating room, holding area, or post anesthesia care area.
- Helps turnover OR suites.
- Assists in positioning, lifting and transferring patients as directed.
- Assists with case set up for assigned rooms.
- Cleans designated supply areas and adheres to Infection Control and departmental guideline in doing so.
- Cleans designated equipment in area assigned and adheres to guidelines.
- Assists with general upkeep of area to provide safe, clean, organized environment.
- Performs between case clean-up of anesthesia equipment and maintains changing circuits and tubing.
- Communicates with Sterile Processing to obtain supplies as needed.
- Obtains necessary equipment, supplies and positioning aides for cases.
- Restocks sterile supplies in OR storage areas and OR rooms as needed.
- Returns clean equipment to equipment storage area.
- Checks and stocks solutions, rotating inventory as needed.
- Orders and maintains adequate par levels for all anesthesia supplies and equipment.
- Completes assignments in timely manner and utilizes time effectively.
- Reports equipment problems to appropriate person.
- Demonstrates proficiency in Autoclave use.
- Stocks anesthesia carts as directed.
- Stocks anesthesia closet/supply area as directed.
- Performs BI test/A test.
- Transport specimens, equipment or supplies utilizing appropriate and safe techniques.
- Retrieves blood from Blood Bank.
- Performs and documents temperature, humidity checks for OR room. Performs and documents temperature checks for refrigerator/freezer.
- Provides considerate respectful care focused upon the patients’ individual needs.
- Affirms the patient’s right to make decisions regarding his/her medical care, including the decision to discontinue treatment, to the extent permitted by law. Demonstrates an understanding of the range of care needed based on the age of the patients cared for.
- Demonstrates knowledge of growth, development and/or adult health throughout the life span as appropriate to the job performed.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- One-year clinical experience in accredited hospital with OR experience preferred.
- BLS certification required.
- Ability to understand the operation of some equipment and machinery and ability function independently. Strong professional, organizational, and interpersonal skills to effectively relate with all members of the healthcare team.
CentraState Healthcare System, a partner of Atlantic Health System, is a fully accredited, not-for-profit, community-based health system that provides comprehensive health services in the central New Jersey region. In addition to offering a full range of leading-edge diagnostic and treatment options, CentraState serves as a valuable health partner focused on the latest ways to prevent disease, promote healthy behaviors, and help people of all ages live life well. Based in Freehold, CentraState is comprised of a 284-bed acute-care hospital, a vibrant health and wellness campus, three award-winning senior living communities, a charitable foundation, and convenient satellite health pavilions offering primary care and specialty physician practices, along with access to outpatient services, such as lab and physical therapy. The system also offers a family medicine residency and geriatric fellowship training program in affiliation with Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School. Among its many honors and accreditations, CentraState is one of less than two percent of hospitals nationwide to earn Magnet® designation for nursing excellence four times and was designated a Great Place to Work-Certified™ Company by Great Place to Work® for the second consecutive year.
When you bring your talent to CentraState, you are joining a trailblazing healthcare facility, committed to providing high-quality, patient-focused care. Join us in making incredible strides in health care, and making a difference in our community. We believe in enriching the lives of our employees through work/life balance initiatives, tuition assistance, career advancement opportunities and much more.
Find out why our employees love their jobs and being part of the CentraState family!
What We Offer:
- Highly competitive compensation
- Excellent benefits package and rewards program
- 403(b) retirement plan with company match
- 401(a) retirement plan with employer contribution
- Life Insurance
- Tuition Reimbursement Program
- Profit Sharing Program
- Growth Opportunity and Workforce Development Initiatives
- Continuing Education / Onsite Training
- A warm, welcoming company culture based upon mutual respect and a collaborative goal of providing excellent patient care
- Concierge Services with Work & Family Benefits
- Magnet recognized healthcare facility
At CentraState Healthcare System, we welcome and promote the diversity of our employee family! Each unique person contributes to the overall success of this organization. Our inclusive culture fosters an environment of professionalism and respect for personal differences.
CentraState Healthcare System, is an equal employment opportunity employer and federal contractor or subcontractor and, therefore, abides by applicable laws to protect applicants and employees from discrimination in hiring, promotion, discharge, pay, fringe benefits, job training, classification, referral, and other aspects of employment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, sexual or affectional orientation, national origin or nationality, citizenship status, disability, age, genetics, protected veteran status, ancestry, marital status.