Functions as a member of the surgical team under the direct supervision of a RN. Responsible for transporting patients from their rooms to surgery, from one area to another within the department of surgical services and the hospital. Responsible for additional functions including assisting in general cleaning, running errands, relaying messages, assisting with patient care and room turnover.
- Correctly identifies patients and safely transports them to and from the operating room, holding area, or post anesthesia care area.
- Helps turnover OR suites.
- Assists in positioning, lifting and transferring patients as directed.
- Assists with case set up for assigned rooms.
- Cleans designated supply areas and adheres to Infection Control and departmental guideline in doing so.
- Cleans designated equipment in area assigned and adheres to guidelines.
- Assists with general upkeep of area to provide safe, clean, organized environment.
- Performs between case clean-up of anesthesia equipment and maintains changing circuits and tubing.
- Communicates with Sterile Processing to obtain supplies as needed.
- Obtains necessary equipment, supplies and positioning aides for cases.
- Restocks sterile supplies in OR storage areas and OR rooms as needed.
- Returns clean equipment to equipment storage area.
- Checks and stocks solutions, rotating inventory as needed.
- Orders and maintains adequate par levels for all anesthesia supplies and equipment.
- Completes assignments in timely manner and utilizes time effectively.
- Reports equipment problems to appropriate person.
- Demonstrates proficiency in Autoclave use.
- Stocks anesthesia carts as directed.
- Stocks anesthesia closet/supply area as directed.
- Performs BI test/A test.
- Transport specimens, equipment or supplies utilizing appropriate and safe techniques.
- Retrieves blood from Blood Bank.
- Performs and documents temperature, humidity checks for OR room. Performs and documents temperature checks for refrigerator/freezer.
- Provides considerate respectful care focused upon the patients’ individual needs.
- Affirms the patient’s right to make decisions regarding his/her medical care, including the decision to discontinue treatment, to the extent permitted by law. Demonstrates an understanding of the range of care needed based on the age of the patients cared for. Demonstrates knowledge of growth, development and/or adult health throughout the life span as appropriate to the job performed.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- One-year clinical experience in accredited hospital with OR experience preferred.
Licenses and Certifications:
- BLS certification required.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
Ability to understand the operation of some equipment and machinery and ability function independently. Strong professional, organizational, and interpersonal skills to effectively relate with all members of the healthcare team.
Normal hospital environment with exposure to sick or injured patients.
Daily potential for exposure to blood and/or body fluids.
Sitting – Rarely
Standing/Walking – Continuously
Kneeling/Stooping – Occasionally
Bending/Climbing – Occasionally
Reaching above shoulder, at waist or below waist – Occasionally
Lifting/Pushing or Pulling up to 40 pounds – Frequently
Lifting/Pushing or Pulling over 40 pounds – Occasionally
Typing/Filing – Rarely
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
CentraState Healthcare System prohibits discrimination based on arbitrary consideration of such characteristics such as race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, gender (including pregnancy), affectual or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, age, physical or mental disability or limitation, medical condition, genetic information, or veteran or military status, as well as any other legally protected class of persons and acts, in accordance with applicable State and Federal laws.