Applies ICD-9-CM and CPT-4 codes to outpatient diagnoses and procedures.
- Reviews outpatient records to ensure complete and accurate documentation to support all diagnoses and procedures.
- Accurately abstracts required data such as discharge dispositions, consultations and procedure/operative information with 95% accuracy.
- In a 7.5 hour day completes an average of 22-25 inpatient records, 50 surgical records, or 100 ED records.
- Assigns codes with a 95% DRG accuracy rate.
- Faxes notification to physicians when a diagnosis is not provided to support medical necessity and follows-up as appropriate.
- Monitors discharge list to ensure all inpatient and outpatient records are coded and follows up on missing charts.
- Inserts appropriate staging forms into medical records of newly diagnosis cancer patients.
- Uses Computer Assisted Coding as a tool to accurately code diagnoses and procedures.
High School Diploma Or Equivalent
Additional Educational Requirements
High School graduate or equivalent with training in medical terminology and medical coding.
Minimum one year coding experience required.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
Knowledge of medical terminology and coding required. Strong professional, organizational, and interpersonal skills to effectively relate with all members of the healthcare team.
Normal office environment
No expected exposure to blood and/or body fluids.
Standing/Walking – Rarely
Kneeling/Stooping – Rarely
Bending/Climbing – Rarely
Reaching above shoulder, at waist or below waist – Rarely
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
CentraState Healthcare System prohibits discrimination based on arbitrary consideration of such characteristics such as race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, gender (including pregnancy), affectual or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, age, physical or mental disability or limitation, medical condition, genetic information, or veteran or military status, as well as any other legally protected class of persons and acts, in accordance with applicable State and Federal laws.