Under the direction of the Vice President Clinical services, plans, interprets and coordinates policies and standards for the perioperative units. Maintains standards of practice to ensure quality patient care, patient satisfaction and staff competency. Gives direction to subordinate nursing management in daily operations. Works within the department and as part of the Medical Center’s Management Team to operationalize the patients care and service goals and objectives established by nursing management in accordance with ANA standards, AORN, AAMI, the NJ Nurse Practice Act, Joint Commission and established hospital and Nursing Department policies and procedures in accordance with evidence based nursing practice. Supervises the Clinical Manager of the O.R., Assistant Nurse Manager SPD, Ambulatory Services Manager and Perioperative Business Manager.
Responsible for administrative functions in surgical services areas, staffing, and directing surgical services personnel. Provides mechanisms for ensuring quality care, issue resolution and perioperative staff competency. Responsible for planning and controlling the physical environment, materials, equipment, and supplies to provide competitive, cost effective operating room service to patients and surgeons. Represents the hospital and surgical services in all activities related to perioperative services. Plans and markets surgical services programs to medical staff, interdepartmental directors, and perioperative service staff.
- Recommends appropriate space and resources for on site services needed for patient care or service provided.
- Assesses the programs and activities of the department as they relate to the patient care goals of the system and recommends new programs and services to enhance the quality of patient care and growth of services.
- Annually reviews Joint Commission licensing, NJDOH regulations, and regulatory agencies and ensures compliance and communicates to Nurse Managers/department heads changes necessary to comply with regulations.
- Collaborates with and provides direction to Nurse Managers and other department heads in the planning and managing the overall operation of the department in a manner consistent with divisional goals and objectives as communicated by the Vice President of Clinical Services.
- Effectively communicates with various disciplines; nursing staff, medical staff, other departments, patients, families, visitors and outside agencies to ensure the provision of patient care that adheres to established standards.
- Works with department heads and clinicians to establish and approve the standards of care of the department.
- Ensures maintenance ot accurate and efficient reports and records.
- Holds staff accountable regarding compliance with: Nursing P.I. indicators, Value Based Purchasing initiatives, and Customer Satisfaction Scores.
Bachelors degree in nursing or related field is required.
Masters degree is preferred.
Minimum of seven (7) years of nursing experience required.
Minimum of five (5) years of supervisory or management nursing experience required.
Licenses and Certifications:
Active state of New Jersey RN license required.
Active BLS certification required.
Certification in nursing administration preferred.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
Strong professional, organizational, and interpersonal skills to effectively relate with all members of the healthcare team.
Normal office environment with occasional visits to nursing units.
No expected exposure to blood and/or body fluids.
Sitting – Frequently
Standing/Walking – Occasionally
Kneeling/Stooping – Rarely
Bending/Climbing – Rarely
Reaching above shoulder, at waist or below waist – Rarely
Lifting/Pushing or Pulling up to 40 pounds – Rarely
Lifting/Pushing or Pulling over 40 pounds – Rarely
Typing/Filing – Occasionally
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
CentraState Healthcare System prohibits discrimination based on arbitrary consideration of such characteristics such as race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, gender (including pregnancy), affectual or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, age, physical or mental disability or limitation, medical condition, genetic information, or veteran or military status, as well as any other legally protected class of persons and acts, in accordance with applicable State and Federal laws.