Scope of Service:
Pharmacist provides quality pharmaceutical services to patients, physicians, nurses and other health professionals in accordance with established professional standards.
- Affirms the patient’s right to make decisions regarding his/her medical care, including the decision to discontinue treatment, to the extent permitted by law.
- Demonstrates the ability to obtain information and interpret information in terms of the needs of the age of the patients cared for.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the range of care needed based on the age of the patients cared for.
- Verifies and dispenses all medications accurately, and on a timely basis as per the Pharmacy Department’s Policies and Procedures.
- Verifies all medication orders for accuracy in dose, schedule, indication and appropriate medication use.
- Computer: Displays ability to input and retrieve vital information pertinent to patient care. Displays understanding of automated devices and operations.
- Compound and dispenses pharmaceuticals, including sterile, admixtures, and chemotherapy accurately.
- Monitors/reviews medication profile for contraindications, drug-drug interactions, drug-food interactions, drug-laboratory test interactions, allergies, appropriateness of drug, therapeutic duplications.
- Provides clinical consultations and clarification to practitioners.
- Suggests appropriate, cost-effective therapeutic alternatives to medical staff as needed.
- Documents all clinical activities and interventions accurately and completely.
- Partakes in pharmacokinetic services (intervention) and drug dosing per institutional protocols.
- Participates in quality improvement and medication use review activities of the department.
- Collects data; conducts quality monitors and inspections; and maintains logs, records and other documentations as assigned.
- Research: Displays understanding and adequately interprets and applies federal and local laws, regulations, institutional polices and guidelines to protect human subjects and ensures institutional compliance.
- Maintains adequate dispensing records/medication returns and just variances effectively.
- Displays a positive attitude within the department and across department lines in support of hospital programs and mission.
- Adheres to institutional and departmental policies.
- Complies with all requirements related to risk management, patient safety, medication safety, environmental safety and infection control.
- Complies with all federal, state, and local laws, rules and regulations.
- Willing to accept additional tasks. Seeks new and challenging assignments
- Bachelor’s Degree in Pharmacy.
- One year hospital experience preferred.
Licenses and Certifications:
- Active New Jersey Pharmacist license.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong professional, organizational, and interpersonal skills to effectively relate with all members of the healthcare team.
Works in a clean, well-lighted and ventilated area, possible exposure to hazardous materials.
Potential for exposure to blood and/or body fluids.
Sitting – Occasionally
Standing/Walking – Frequently
Kneeling/Stooping – Rarely
Bending/Climbing – Rarely
Reaching above shoulder, at waist or below waist – Rarely
Lifting/Pushing or Pulling up to 40 pounds – Rarely
Lifting/Pushing or Pulling over 40 pounds – Never
Typing/Filing – Occasionally
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
CentraState Healthcare System prohibits discrimination based on arbitrary consideration of such characteristics such as race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, gender (including pregnancy), affectual or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, age, physical or mental disability or limitation, medical condition, genetic information, or veteran or military status, as well as any other legally protected class of persons and acts, in accordance with applicable State and Federal laws.