Performs venipuncture, specimen processing functions, and various other specialized specimen collections. Performs computer functions.
- Collects blood specimens on inpatients and outpatients through venipuncture, capillary finger-stick, or heel-stick from newborns according to policy.
- Obtains blood according to lab policy and procedure with minimal bruising to patient.
- Labels tubes appropriately with initials, date and time.
- Interprets physician orders and performs computer order entry accurately. Consolidates orders appropriately.
- Properly instructs outpatients in specimen collections.
- Accurately enters relevant collection information under correct patient identification.
- Accurately enters physician information.
- Acts as mentor for newly hired employees.
- Maintains work area in a clean and orderly manner. Restocks area prior to end of shift. Notifies Environmental Services of any spills or other problems needing attention as soon as they occur.
- Utilizes Positive Patient Identification System properly.
- Assists SPA (Specimen Processing Area) with collection and processing of samples.
- Assists manager with documentation of annual competency of all employees.
- Assists outpatients in obtaining information from Physician and properly documents advanced beneficiary notices including telephone support, full explanations to both patient and office staff.
- Assists Manager in compiling data for Quality Assurance monitoring and Performance Improvement indicators.
- Uses preference lab computers or contacts reference labs to obtain specimen requirements and information regarding tests not in lab dictionary.
- Assure completeness of all records in work area including quality control charts.
- Perform order entry for offsite specimens.
- Completes assigned responsibilities in section prior to end of shift.
- Fulfills clinical ladder requirement.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Phlebotomy experience preferred.
Licenses and Certifications:
- Certification preferred.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
Basic knowledge of computer (keyboard) required. Strong professional, organizational, and interpersonal skills to effectively relate with all members of the healthcare team.
Works in a normal hospital environment with frequent exposure to sick or injured patients.
Daily potential for exposure to blood and/or body fluids.
Sitting – Rarely
Standing/Walking – Continuously
Kneeling/Stooping – Rarely
Bending/Climbing – Occasionally
Reaching above shoulder, at waist or below waist – Rarely
Lifting/Pushing or Pulling up to 40 pounds – Never
Lifting/Pushing or Pulling over 40 pounds – Rarely
Typing/Filing – Rarely
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
CentraState Healthcare System prohibits discrimination based on arbitrary consideration of such characteristics such as race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, gender (including pregnancy), affectual or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, age, physical or mental disability or limitation, medical condition, genetic information, or veteran or military status, as well as any other legally protected class of persons and acts, in accordance with applicable State and Federal laws.