Administers culturally sensitive nursing care to assigned patients that is in accordance with ANA standards, the NJ Practice Act, Joint Commission, professional standards and established hospital and Nursing Department policy and procedures in accordance with evidence based nursing practice. Utilizes the nursing process in providing patient centered care through the analysis of nurse sensitive indicators and patient outcomes.
On-call coverage for off hours, weekends, and holidays is expected.
- Provides considerate respectful care focused upon the patient’s individual needs to ensure patient satisfaction.
- Affirms the patient’s right to make decisions regarding his/her medical care, including the decision to discontinue treatment, to the extent permitted by law.
- Demonstrates the ability to obtain information and interpret information in terms of the needs of the age of the patients cared for. Demonstrates knowledge of growth, development and/or adult health throughout the life span as appropriate to the job performed.
- Successfully completes life-span education as appropriate.
- Obtains a complete nursing history and baseline assessment that is systematic, consistent and continuous. This assessment is communicated effectively utilizing Hand-off policy and documented.
- Documents results of patient assessment, nursing diagnosis, care plan nursing interventions and evaluation and patient progress in medical record according to hospital/nursing policy and the Nursing Standards of Care/Practice for the specific patient type.
- Appropriately analyzes patient information /assessment to determine nursing diagnosis and needs for appropriate nursing care, medical intervention or services of other clinical professionals.
- Identifies patient problems and formulates nursing diagnosis according to physical, psychological, spiritual/cultural and educational needs in conjunction with a multi-disciplinary approach.
- Consistently includes patient and family in the development of an individualized plan of care.
- Administers medication as needed following CSHS policies and manufacturer’s instructions.
- Takes immediate and appropriate actions in the event of a medication variance occurrence.
- Recognizes changes in patient condition and/or emergencies situations and takes immediate and appropriate actions.
- Participates in unit conferences to discuss quality issues and quality improvement strategies.
- Delegates components of care to non-professional caregivers as appropriate. Follows up on any delegated components of care and assignments given.
- Make decisions that demonstrate knowledge of nursing practice; utilizes sound nursing judgment in clinical and patient care management situations.
- Demonstrates critical thinking skills in the care of patients and in the coordination of care to assure the best patient outcomes.
- Follow CSHS Pain Assessment policy.
- Can successfully function as a Resource Nurse, making decisions in the absence of the Clinical Leader and/or the Nurse Manager.
- Supports cost containment through efficient use of equipment, supplies and other pertinent resources.
- Recognizes adverse reaction to medications and takes immediate and appropriate action.
- Evaluates the patient’s needs for discharge and accesses appropriate resources for the patient and/or family.
- Consistently provides written and verbal education to patients and/or families.
- Can successfully function as a preceptor/mentor to students and new staff members.
- Consistently promotes teamwork within the unit and between departments.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing required.
Graduate of an approved program for Registered Nurses currently licensed to practice in NJ.
- Previous operating room experience preferred.
Licenses and Certifications:
- RN license/NJ required.
- BLS certification required.
- ACLS and CNOR certified preferred
Required Knowledge and Skills:
Strong professional, organizational, and interpersonal skills to effectively relate with all members of the healthcare team.
Works in a normal hospital environment with frequent exposure to sick or injured patients.
Daily potential for exposure to blood and/or body fluids.
Sitting – Rarely
Standing/Walking – Continuously
Kneeling/Stooping – Rarely
Bending/Climbing – Occasionally
Reaching above shoulder, at waist or below waist – Rarely
Lifting/Pushing or Pulling up to 40 pounds – Occasionally
Lifting/Pushing or Pulling over 40 pounds – Occasionally
Typing/Filing – Occasionally
CentraState Healthcare System prohibits discrimination based on arbitrary consideration of such characteristics such as race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, gender (including pregnancy), affectual or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, age, physical or mental disability or limitation, medical condition, genetic information, or veteran or military status, as well as any other legally protected class of persons and acts, in accordance with applicable State and Federal laws.