Responsible for directing and coordinating all aspects of patient care in the Radiation Oncology department including administering medication. Performs or assists with other modalities in a holistic and empathetic manner. Provides quality service through a team orientated, collaborative approach to patient care. Performs duties in accordance with ANA standards, the NJ Practice Act, Joint Commission and established hospital and Nursing Department policy and procedures. Age of patient populations served ranges from young adult to elderly.
- Performs pain assessment, appropriate interventions, documents pain assessment, intervention follow up, reassessment and patient family education. Notifies physician for unrelieved pain as indicated.
- Identifies special needs for each patient and tailors patient and family education to best accommodate those individual needs.
- Communicates individual needs to all staff involved in care.
- Implements nursing care as indicated by patient care plan.
- Consistently includes patient and family in the development of an individualized plan of care.
- Performs initial and weekly assessment of each patient undergoing radiation therapy.
- Assesses patient for skin and bodily changes associated with radiation therapy treatments.
- Responsible for patient education related to treatment modality, side effects, plan of treatment and symptom management.
- Communicates prescribed nursing interventions to the healthcare team.
- Collaborates with Case Management, Social Worker and Dietician to optimize multidisciplinary approach to patient care. Keeps a record of ancillary services referred.
- Assists in the development of standards of care.
- Provides for the protection of self and others by adhering to the unit based safe work practices regarding protective equipment by using proper sharps disposal technique: exercising care and caution working with and around sharps and following manufacturer’s safety precautions.
- Works collaboratively with the Infection Control and Occupational Health Department.
- Participates in tumor board, multidisciplinary, and P.I. functions as needed.
- Administers medications as needed following CSHS policies and manufacturer’s instructions.
- Takes immediate and appropriate actions in the event of a medication variance occurrence.
- Recognizes changes in patient condition and/or emergencies situations and takes immediate and appropriate actions.
- Makes decisions that demonstrates knowledge of nursing practice; utilizes sound nursing judgment in clinical and patient care management situations. Assures all nursing processes are evidenced based.
- Demonstrates critical thinking skills in the care of patients and in the coordination of care to assure the best patient outcomes.
- Assures all on treatment patients receive labs as requested on treatment prescription.
- Assures lab documentation is charted.
- Acts as liaison between Nursing and Radiation Oncology departments.
- Controls all medications and controlled drugs in the Radiation Oncology Department.
- Assesses and monitors patient condition while patient is in the Radiation Oncology Department
- Bachelor’s Nursing Required
- Oncology experience Preferred
- RN License / New Jersey Required
- OCN Certification Required or obtained within 6 months of hire
- BLS Required
- ACLS Preferred
- Strong customer service skills.
CentraState Healthcare System, a partner of Atlantic Health System, is a fully accredited, not-for-profit, community-based health system that provides comprehensive health services in the central New Jersey region. In addition to offering a full range of leading-edge diagnostic and treatment options, CentraState serves as a valuable health partner focused on the latest ways to prevent disease, promote healthy behaviors, and help people of all ages live life well. Based in Freehold, CentraState is comprised of a 284-bed acute-care hospital, a vibrant health and wellness campus, three award-winning senior living communities, a charitable foundation, and convenient satellite health pavilions offering primary care and specialty physician practices, along with access to outpatient services, such as lab and physical therapy. The system also offers a family medicine residency and geriatric fellowship training program in affiliation with Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School. Among its many honors and accreditations, CentraState is one of less than two percent of hospitals nationwide to earn Magnet® designation for nursing excellence four times and was designated a Great Place to Work-Certified™ Company by Great Place to Work® for the second consecutive year.
When you bring your talent to CentraState, you are joining a trailblazing healthcare facility, committed to providing high-quality, patient-focused care. Join us in making incredible strides in health care, and making a difference in our community. We believe in enriching the lives of our employees through work/life balance initiatives, tuition assistance, career advancement opportunities and much more.
Find out why our employees love their jobs and being part of the CentraState family!
What We Offer:
- Highly competitive compensation
- Excellent benefits package and rewards program
- 403(b) retirement plan with company match
- 401(a) retirement plan with employer contribution
- Life Insurance
- Tuition Reimbursement Program
- Profit Sharing Program
- Growth Opportunity and Workforce Development Initiatives
- Continuing Education / Onsite Training
- A warm, welcoming company culture based upon mutual respect and a collaborative goal of providing excellent patient care
- Concierge Services with Work & Family Benefits
- Magnet recognized healthcare facility
At CentraState Healthcare System, we welcome and promote the diversity of our employee family! Each unique person contributes to the overall success of this organization. Our inclusive culture fosters an environment of professionalism and respect for personal differences.
CentraState Healthcare System, is an equal employment opportunity employer and federal contractor or subcontractor and, therefore, abides by applicable laws to protect applicants and employees from discrimination in hiring, promotion, discharge, pay, fringe benefits, job training, classification, referral, and other aspects of employment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, sexual or affectional orientation, national origin or nationality, citizenship status, disability, age, genetics, protected veteran status, ancestry, marital status.