Registers and schedules patients according to established procedures. Pre-screens patients to determine accurate financial responsibilities. Secures all legal consents and insurance information, assigns patient rooms in accordance with criteria, verifies insurance coverage, coordinates with Outcomes Managers, and obtains pre-certification authorization, as appropriate.
- Using critical thinking skills, accurately schedules patient appointments for all outpatient services.
- Accurately schedules patients for physician appointments following all Family Practice guidelines.
- Coordinates all resources needed to accurately schedule patient appointments in a variety of systems.
- Utilizes independent thinking skills and resources available in multiple systems to coordinate all resources that are available and in place for patient appointments.
- Tactfully and professionally interacts daily with physicians to ensure patients are scheduled appropriately.
- Troubleshoots all issues related to scheduling process including but not limited to adjusting resources for optimum scheduling and physician satisfaction.
- Maintains composure in stressful situations with patients and/or clinicians knowing that all calls are recorded and the hospital’s emphasis is on patient and physician satisfaction.
- Communicates with internal and external contacts as required with a high degree of tact and professional discretion.
- Ensures compliance with requirements of CentraState Healthcare System policies and regulatory agencies in area of responsibility.
- Maintains open communications with hospital departments and medical staff to facilitate patient visits.
- Provides personalized service to patients for specific diagnostic procedures.
- Ensures data entry is accurate and is completed based on established priorities.
- Registers each account in hospital registration system following all departmental procedures to ensure compliance with state and federal regulations.
- Obtains and determines the coordination of benefits and accurately inputs into registration system following industry standards and departmental procedure.
- Clearly documents in computer system all communication with physicians, physician office, patients and/or family members. Documents any exceptions to standard procedure.
- Completes quality checks and reviews each registration for correct information. Seeks assistance and plans corrective action.
- Handles departmental paperwork flow in a manner consistent with departmental policies and procedures.
- Communicates with patients clearly and professionally to accurately provide preps for all tests, making sure instructions are understood by patient; as well as documenting providing directions and insurance guidelines. Documents communication with patients as needed.
- Has acquired knowledge on booking interventional radiology exams to communicate clinical needs to patient including list of medicines that patient may and may not consume prior to exam. Documents all information accurately.
- Readily communicates with ancillary departments to ensure accuracy in appointments scheduled. Calls departments directly with questions regarding types of tests to be scheduled, questions regarding preps, or with last-minute cancellations. Documents communication with departments in appropriate patient charts.
- Takes the initiative in contacting patients that have been scheduled by other departments in order to obtain accurate preregistration information.
- Makes complete and appropriate notations on appointments not scheduled/pre-registered by patients and places all information on such in appropriate pre-registration folder for later follow-up.
- Answers patient calls in a professional, courteous and timely manner, understanding that paperwork, although necessary, must be put aside for a later time.
- Responsible to obtain physician order for testing and contact patient to schedule and pre-register patient and make all appropriate documentation in software system.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Hospital experience in registration and billing preferred.
Licenses and Certifications:
Required Knowledge and Skills:
Knowledge of medical terminology. Strong customer service skills. Must have the ability to multi task between multiple software systems and intuitively have the ability to choose the appropriate system. Must have professional and above average communication skills to deal with clinical staff.
Normal office environment with possible exposure to infectious patients.
Potential exposure to blood and/or body fluids.
Sitting – Frequently
Standing/Walking – Rarely
Kneeling/Stooping – Never
Bending/Climbing – Never
Reaching above shoulder, at waist or below waist – Occasionally
Lifting/Pushing or Pulling up to 40 pounds – Never
Lifting/Pushing or Pulling over 40 pounds – Never
Typing/Filing – Frequently
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
CentraState Healthcare System prohibits discrimination based on arbitrary consideration of such characteristics such as race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, gender (including pregnancy), affectual or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, age, physical or mental disability or limitation, medical condition, genetic information, or veteran or military status, as well as any other legally protected class of persons and acts, in accordance with applicable State and Federal laws.