Functions as a member of the surgical team under the direct supervision of a RN. Performs scrub duties on surgical cases and assists RN in setting up for surgical procedures.
- Maintains aseptic technique throughout surgical procedure. Reports and breaks in technique to surgeon and circulator.
- Is in room and ready to start by 7a or 7p for assigned shift and when c-section is called.
- Reports any defective equipment immediately to Biomed department and to resource nurse.
- Obtains extra equipment necessary for surgical procedure.
- Observes progress of surgery and demonstrates an ability to anticipate the needs of the surgeon and possible need for additional instruments and supplies.
- Stocks unit carts and patient rooms with supplies, maintains logs for code carts, airflow values, and refrigerator temperatures.
- Opens sterile supplies using appropriate technique.
- Clarifies name and expiration of medication with circulator.
- Labels all medications and solutions used on surgical field.
- Arranges instruments and supplies properly for specific procedure.
- Maintains surgical field in orderly fashion to facilitate accessibility and relief by another staff member.
- Returns supplies to proper areas.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the function of the sterilization and decontamination principles.
- Provides considerate respectful care focused on the patients’ individual needs.
- Affirms the patient’s right to make decisions regarding his/her medical care, including the decision to discontinue treatment, to the extent permitted by law.
- Demonstrates the ability to obtain information and interpret information in terms of the needs of the age of the patients cared for. Demonstrates an understanding of the range of care needed based on the age of the patients cared for. Demonstrates knowledge of growth, development and /or adult health throughout the life span as appropriate to the job performed.
- Patient care responsibilities include taking vital signs as per unit routine, emptying urinary catheters, rounding on patients.
High School Diploma Or Equivalent Required and
Graduate Technician Program Preferred or
Additional Educational Requirements
High school graduate or equivalency. Successful completion of OR Technician program (or graduate of accredited LPN program with NJ license).
Additional Experience Requirements
Previous experience a plus.
Licenses and Certifications:
Additional Certification/Licensure Requirements
Maintains annual CEU requirements as per NJ Department of Health.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
Strong professional, organizational, and interpersonal skills to effectively relate with all members of the healthcare team.
Normal hospital environment with exposure to sick or injured patients.
Daily potential for exposure to blood and/or body fluids.
Sitting – Rarely
Kneeling/Stooping – Occasionally
Bending/Climbing – Occasionally
Typing/Filing – Rarely
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
CentraState Healthcare System prohibits discrimination based on arbitrary consideration of such characteristics such as race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, gender (including pregnancy), affectual or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, age, physical or mental disability or limitation, medical condition, genetic information, or veteran or military status, as well as any other legally protected class of persons and acts, in accordance with applicable State and Federal laws.