Functions as a member of the surgical team under the direct supervision of an RN. Performs scrub duties on surgical cases and assists RN in setting up for surgical procedures. On-call coverage for off hours, weekends, and holidays is expected.
- Maintains aseptic technique throughout surgical procedure. Reports and breaks in technique to surgeon and circulator.
- Is in room and ready to start by 7:00 a.m.
- Reports any defective equipment immediately.
- Obtains extra equipment necessary for surgical procedure.
- Observes progress of surgery and demonstrates an ability to anticipate the needs of the surgeon and possible need for additional instruments and supplies.
- Opens sterile supplies using appropriate technique.
- Clarifies name and expiration of medication with circulator.
- Labels all medications and solutions used on surgical field.
- Demonstrates basic knowledge of drug actions used in surgery.
- Arranges instruments and supplies properly for specific procedure.
- Maintains surgical field in orderly fashion to facilitate accessibility and relief by another staff member.
- Returns supplies to proper areas.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the function of the sterilization and decontamination principles.
- Provides considerate respectful care focused on the patients’ individual needs.
- Affirms the patient’s right to make decisions regarding his/her medical care, including the decision to discontinue treatment, to the extent permitted by law.
- Demonstrates the ability to obtain information and interpret information in terms of the needs of the age of the patients cared for. Demonstrates an understanding of the range of care needed based on the age of the patients cared for. Demonstrates knowledge of growth, development and /or adult health throughout the life span as appropriate to the job performed.
- Performs count properly following CentraState Medical Center policy and procedure.
- Is aware of corrective action taken when count is incorrect.
- Signs operative record appropriately when count is complete at end of case.
High school graduate or equivalency. Successful completion of OR Technician program (or graduate of accredited LPN program with NJ license).
- Previous related experience a plus.
Licenses and Certifications:
- CPR certification required.
Successful completion of a nationally or regionally accredited educational program for surgical technologists. Must have completed an appropriate training program for surgical technology in the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps OR Coast Guard of the United States. The certification must be held and maintained by National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
Strong professional, organizational, and interpersonal skills to effectively relate with all members of the healthcare team.
Normal hospital environment with exposure to sick or injured patients.
Daily potential for exposure to blood and/or body fluids.
Sitting – Never
Kneeling/Stooping – Never
Bending/Climbing – Occasionally
Reaching above shoulder, at waist or below waist – Rarely
Lifting/Pushing or Pulling up to 40 pounds – Occasionally
Lifting/Pushing or Pulling over 40 pounds –
Typing/Filing – Continuously
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
CentraState Healthcare System prohibits discrimination based on arbitrary consideration of such characteristics such as race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, gender (including pregnancy), affectual or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, age, physical or mental disability or limitation, medical condition, genetic information, or veteran or military status, as well as any other legally protected class of persons and acts, in accordance with applicable State and Federal laws. #CB