Provides discharge planning assistance, supportive counseling and advocacy service to assigned patients and their families.
- Assesses patient’s social services and discharge planning needs and their ability to provide for those needs following hospitalization.
- Identifies situations indicating possible abuse, dependencies, growth and development problems, and sexual orientation issues and follows up appropriately.
- Provides support to patients and families coping with illness and hospitalization.
- Makes recommendations regarding needs of patients and suggestions for providing more effective comprehensive care and social work services.
- Refers patients to appropriate community agencies for concrete services following discharge.
- Recognizes possible cases of abuse and refers to appropriate agencies for investigation and follows-up as appropriate.
- Documents all assessments, referrals and interventions in the patient’s medical record.
- Maintains monthly statistics with regard to patients served and completes monthly report.
- Receives formal in-service on all CentraState Nursing Care Facilities including Level of Care and admission criteria.
Bachelor’s Social Work Required
Additional Educational Requirements BS/BA in Social Work or in the related fields of Guidance and Counseling, Human Services, Marriage and Family Counseling, Psychology, Sociology, and Vocational/Disability Rehabilitation, from an accredited college or university. Internship required.
2 Medical Social Work Experience Preferred
Additional Experience Requirements
Minimum 2 years’ experience in medical social work preferred.
Licenses and Certifications:
Certified Social Worker / New Jersey Preferred
Required Knowledge and Skills:
Strong professional, organizational, and interpersonal skills to effectively relate with all members of the healthcare team.
Works in a normal hospital environment with frequent exposure to sick or injured patients.
Potential for exposure to blood and/or body fluids.
Sitting – Occasionally
Standing/Walking – Frequently
Kneeling/Stooping – Never
Bending/Climbing – Never
Reaching above shoulder, at waist or below waist – Never
Lifting/Pushing or Pulling up to 40 pounds – Never
Lifting/Pushing or Pulling over 40 pounds – Never
Typing/Filing – Frequently
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
CentraState Healthcare System prohibits discrimination based on arbitrary consideration of such characteristics such as race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, gender (including pregnancy), affectual or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, age, physical or mental disability or limitation, medical condition, genetic information, or veteran or military status, as well as any other legally protected class of persons and acts, in accordance with applicable State and Federal laws.