Performs a variety of maintenance and engineering duties. Works independently to analyze and correct complex problems, determines manpower, material needs and deadlines for jobs or projects. Serves as lead to a group of Maintenance Mechanics on assigned projects, teaches trade skills to other Mechanics, and reviews the work of outside vendors to report on discrepancies. Additionally required to perform duties of Maintenance Mechanic I and Maintenance Mechanic II.
- Coordinates work of workers and various trades to ensure successful completion of job.
- Promptly responds to all emergency calls and drills. Demonstrates knowledge of emergency procedures.
- Makes constructive recommendations for modification of preventive maintenance system.
- Demonstrates ability to identify and correct complex building system problems.
- Utilizes effective teaching methods to teach specific trade skills to other members of the department.
- Plans layout, fabricates and recommends material for installations.
- Recommends alternate methods of installation when appropriate.
- Ensures correct parts are ordered following CentraState and department guidelines.
- Ensures quality parts are obtained for the best price.
- Make punch lists as required of outside vendor projects.
- Conducts all scheduled rounds, tests and inspections as required.
- Assists in making decisions on all normal and minor repairs and reports major problems to Director or Manager.
- Is aware of own limitations and refers problems beyond scope of expertise to the Director or Supervisor.
- Reads blueprints or models accurately.
- Reads blueprints or models to learn work layout or plans own work layout, making routine computations as needed.
- Constructs, finishes, installs, maintains and repairs equipment, systems and facilities related to any craft or combination of same, using power and hand tools and other necessary equipment.
- Is aware of, and follows applicable local, state and federal regulations.
- Ensures all work areas are kept clean and free of safety hazards (shops, mechanical rooms, patient areas, etc.).
- Utilizes correct tools and appropriate safety measures when working with power and hand tools.
- Performs a variety of semi-skilled and skilled work in various crafts such as carpentry, plumbing, electrical work, sheet metal work, machinist work, painting, welding, masonry. Completes work assignments following proper techniques and departmental standards for quality.
- Demonstrates knowledge of plant and specialty equipment (i.e.: sterilizers, dietary equipment, sprinkler systems, ice makers, and other plant and specialty equipment).
- Performs necessary service and repairs to equipment following manufacturer specifications.
- Removes snow and ice when required to ensure the safety of CentraState patients, employees, and visitors.
- Maintains accurate and complete logs following departmental guidelines.
- Advanced level mechanical maintenance: Performs high level of bed and stretcher repairs.
- Advanced level mechanical maintenance: Performs PM and minor repair of compressors.
- Advanced level mechanical maintenance: Performs operation and testing of generators.
- Advanced level mechanical maintenance: Performs pm’s and general maintenance on medical air compressors, medical vacuum pumps, tube transport systems, and various other systems and equipment as needed.
- Advanced level HVAC maintenance: Assists HVAC mechanic in repairs and/or replacement of any larger (greater than 5 lb. refrigerant) HVAC unit.
- Advanced level HVAC maintenance: Assists HVAC mechanic in repairs and pm’s to chillers.
- Advanced level electrical maintenance: Installs replacement light fixtures.
- Advanced level electrical maintenance: Assists electricians when needed.
- Advanced level electrical maintenance: Troubleshoots and corrects when possible any power losses.
- Advanced plumbing maintenance: Troubleshoot minor plumbing problems and correct with advice and/or direction from plumber.
- Advanced plumbing maintenance: Assists plumber in any plumbing job.
- Advanced finish maintenance: Performs repairs to millwork and furniture.
High School Diploma or Equivalent required.
Minimum of seven years as a Maintenance Mechanic, or five years experience plus State of New Jersey license in chosen trade required. Previous experience in a health care institution preferred. Two years of trade school or apprenticeship in trade may be substituted for two years of the previous experience requirement.
Licenses and Certifications:
Low Pressure Black Seal License/ New Jersey preferred or must enroll in Black Seal License class within three months of hire.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
Ability to read, comprehend, and transmit complicated detailed instructions in writing and orally. Must have a demonstrated expertise in one trade required to meet the vacancy, comprehensive understanding of plant operation, and skills in various trades including carpentry, painting, electrical, plumbing, HVAC, and mechanical repairs. Strong professional, organizational, and interpersonal skills to effectively relate with all members of the healthcare team.
CentraState Healthcare System aims to enhance the health and well-being of our communities through the compassionate delivery of quality healthcare. We are confident that you will find success within CentraState Healthcare System, which is Magnet Recognized and was designation a Great Place to Work-Certified™ company by Great Place to Work®. When you bring your talent to CentraState, you are joining a trailblazing healthcare facility, committed to providing in high-quality, patient-focused care. Join us in making incredible strides in healthcare, and making a difference in our community.
We believe in enriching the lives of our employees through work/life balance initiatives, tuition assistance, career advancement opportunities and much more.
Find out why our employees love their jobs and being part of the CentraState family!
What We Offer:
- Highly competitive compensation
- Excellent benefits package and rewards program
- Leading edge technology
- Great staff-to-patient ratio’s
- Career Development and Growth Opportunity
- Tuition Reimbursement Program
- Comprehensive Retirement / Savings Programs
- Continuing Education / Onsite Training
- A warm, welcoming company culture based upon mutual respect and a collaborative goal of providing excellent patient care
- Profit Sharing Program
- Concierge Services with Work & Family Benefits
- Magnet recognized healthcare facility
At CentraState, we welcome and promote the diversity of our employee family! Each unique person contributes to the overall success of this organization. Our inclusive culture fosters an environment of professionalism and respect for personal differences.
Additionally, CentraState Healthcare System prohibits discrimination based on arbitrary consideration of such characteristics such as race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, gender (including pregnancy), affectual or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, age, physical or mental disability or limitation, medical condition, genetic information, or veteran or military status, as well as any other legally protected class of persons and acts, in accordance with applicable State and Federal laws.