Maintains Sterile Processing Service standards for cleaning, processing, assembling, sterilizing, storage and distribution of sterile supplies and patient care equipment. Monitors and evaluates sterilization process.
- Ensures soiled equipment is retrieved from patient care area in a timely manner. All contaminated equipment should be covered for transport.
- Is able to distinguish between different disinfectants and detergents and know how to use and what to use them on.
- Follows set procedures using Preference Sheet, Count Sheets and or computer.
- Remove instruments requiring repair, replace as needed reports damaged or missing instruments to SPD manager.
- Follows manufacturer’s operating instructions.
- Is able to use Steam Sterilizers, Steris System I, Sterrad, and instrument washer.
- Accurately reads and signs all sterilization recording charts.
- Performs Bowie Dick test and biological test and accurately documents results.
- Follows procedure for distribution of sterile supplies.
- Stocks and transports case carts according to policy and procedure.
- Distributes patient care equipment in a timely manner.
- Follows Sterile Storage Policy.
- Checks expiration date on sterile items. Rotates stock in Sterile Storage.
- Ensures linen is de-linted and inspected for holes.
- Assists in the picking and loading of supplies and instrumentation for the next day’s Main OR and Labor & Delivery schedules.
- Collaborates with O/R staff and Desk Coordinator to facilitate instruments for cases and promotes expedient turnover.
- Follows procedure for inventory of all patient care equipment.
- Checks orders to ensure proper items are being signed for.
- Participates in PI/QA activities as requested.
- High school diploma or equivalent is required.
- Sterile Processing Technician training course.
- One year as a sterile processing technician.
Licenses and Certifications:
- Certification as Sterile Processing Technician.
- National sterile processing program recognized by the NJSDHSS.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
Verbal and written communications skills required.
Exposure to detergents and other cleaning agents
Daily potential for exposure to blood and/or body fluids.
Sitting – Continuously
Standing/Walking – Continuously
Kneeling/Stooping – Occasionally
Bending/Climbing – Rarely
Reaching above shoulder, at waist or below waist – Frequently
Lifting/Pushing or Pulling up to 40 pounds – Frequently
Lifting/Pushing or Pulling over 40 pounds – Never
Typing/Filing – Frequently
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
At CentraState, we welcome and promote the diversity of our employee family! Each unique person contributes to the overall success of this organization. Our inclusive culture fosters an environment of professionalism and respect for personal differences.
Additionally, CentraState Healthcare System prohibits discrimination based on arbitrary consideration of such characteristics such as race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, gender (including pregnancy), affectual or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, age, physical or mental disability or limitation, medical condition, genetic information, or veteran or military status, as well as any other legally protected class of persons and acts, in accordance with applicable State and Federal laws.