Maintains Sterile Processing standards for cleaning, processing, assembling, sterilizing, storage and distribution of sterile supplies and patient care equipment. Monitors and evaluates sterilization process.
- Assists with the development of performance improvement and quality plans. Collects data and reports results to Manager and suggest improvements in work methods and work flow.
- Makes recommendations and assists in implementing new procedures/processes in conjunction with the manager.
- Complies with all laws, statues, regulations and reports to appropriated CentraState authorities any known or suspected violations of work-related laws, statues, and/or regulations by any CentraState employee, officer, trustee, agent or representative.
- Assist in orientation of new employees and provides ongoing training and updating to existing personnel.
- Maintains appropriate documentation to ensure compliance with all regulatory agency requirements including SDHSS and Joint Commission.
- Assists in the picking and loading of supplies and instrumentation for the next day’s Main OR and Labor & Delivery schedules.
- Follows procedure for inventory of all patient care equipment.
- In absence of manager, performs personnel duties; i.e. interviews, selects and refers prospective candidates to manager. Authorized to handle personnel problems such as discipline and control of time worked.
- Collaborates with O/R staff and Desk Coordinator to facilitate instruments for cases and promotes expedient turnover.
- Collaborates with OR staff to identify instruments/ tray issues needing attention and/or resolution.
- Assigns and supervises the work of employees and may perform all or some of the duties of a technician as deemed necessary.
- Ensures soiled equipment is retrieved from patient care area in a timely manner. All contaminated equipment should be covered for transport.
- Is able to distinguish between different disinfectants and detergents and know how to use and what to use them on.
- Follows set procedures using Preference Sheet, Count Sheets and or computer.
- Uses Steam Sterilizers, Steris System I, Sterrad, instrument washer, and Vpromat.
- Accurately reads and signs all sterilization recording charts.
- Performs Bowie Dick test and biological test and accurately documents results.
- Confers with staff of nursing units and other departments to exchange information and review policies.
- Demonstrates ability to think independently to problem solve effectively.
- Demonstrates the ability to plan effectively by recognizing and setting priorities, and completing assignments in a timely manner.
- Removes instruments requiring repair, replace as needed reports damaged or missing instruments to SPD Coordinator.
- Follows procedure for distribution of sterile supplies.
- Stocks and transports case carts according to policy and procedure. Ensures case carts for next day are complete.
- Distributes computer patient orders in a timely manner.
- Follows Sterile Storage Policy.
- Checks expiration date on sterile items. Rotates stock in Sterile Storage.
- Ensures linen is de-linted and inspected for holes.
- Ensures staff keeps area clean and neat at all times.
- Monitors area to ensure any potentially hazardous situations are corrected effectively.
- Ensures traction equipment is in good working condition.
- Cleans, stores and sets up traction following set procedures.
- Picks up used traction and returns equipment to Sterile Processing.
- Follows manufacturer’s operating instructions.
- Checks orders to ensure proper items are being signed for.
- Audits all case carts that come down into decontan to ensure compliance and documents.
High School Diploma Or Equivalent Required
Additional Educational Requirements High school graduate or equivalency plus Sterile Processing Technician training course.
3 Years Certified Sterile Processing Technician Preferred
Previous Supervisory Experience Preferred
Licenses and Certifications:
Healthcare Leadership Certification Required Certification as Sterile Processing Technician / New Jersey Required or
Additional Certification/Licensure Requirements Or international sterile processing program recognizing by NJSDHSS.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
Must demonstrate leadership ability. Must have an understanding of microbiology and sterilization. Strong professional, organizational, and interpersonal skills to effectively relate with all members of the healthcare team.
Exposure to detergents and other cleaning agents. Work requires standing and walking for prolonged period (90% of work time) as well as lifting of equipment, supplies, etc., and pushing of autoclave cart and surgical case and Exchange carts. Ability to lift 25 pounds required.
Daily potential for exposure to blood and/or body fluids.
Sitting – Frequently
Standing/Walking – Continuously
Kneeling/Stooping – Occasionally
Bending/Climbing – Frequently
Reaching above shoulder, at waist or below waist – Frequently
Lifting/Pushing or Pulling up to 40 pounds – Frequently
Lifting/Pushing or Pulling over 40 pounds – Rarely
Typing/Filing – Rarely
Additional physical requirements: Physical demands will vary depending on location of assignment. Must be able to push autoclave cart and surgical case and exchange carts.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
CentraState Healthcare System prohibits discrimination based on arbitrary consideration of such characteristics such as race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, gender (including pregnancy), affectual or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, age, physical or mental disability or limitation, medical condition, genetic information, or veteran or military status, as well as any other legally protected class of persons and acts, in accordance with applicable State and Federal laws.
At CentraState, we welcome and promote the diversity of our employee family! Each unique person contributes to the overall success of this organization. Our inclusive culture fosters an environment of professionalism and respect for personal differences.
Additionally, CentraState Healthcare System prohibits discrimination based on arbitrary consideration of such characteristics such as race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, gender (including pregnancy), affectual or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, age, physical or mental disability or limitation, medical condition, genetic information, or veteran or military status, as well as any other legally protected class of persons and acts, in accordance with applicable State and Federal laws.