Works with seniors with Alzheimer’s or related dementia in a social model of care as directed by the Thrive program director. Is responsible for direct patient care, including personal care assistance with activities of daily living, helping and/or leading resident in daily activity programs, meal supervision and serving.
- Provides considerate respectful care focused upon the residents’ individual needs.
- Affirms the resident’s right to make decisions regarding his/her medical care, including the decision to discontinue treatment, to the extent permitted by law.
- Demonstrates the ability to obtain information and interpret information in terms of the needs of the age of the residents cared for.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the range of care needed based on the age of the residents cared for.
- Demonstrates knowledge of growth, development and/or adult health throughout the life span as appropriate to the job performed.
- Successfully completes life-span education as appropriate.
- Accurately reports concerns or a change in resident status to the RN/LPN.
- Provides partial and complete personal care to the residents.
- Assists with resident meal services and participates in the maintenance of the nutritional and hydration needs of the resident.
- Verbalizes understanding that pain management is a priority to resident and nurse.
- Notifies nurse immediately of residents having pain/discomfort.
- Collects resident data utilizing learned technical skills.
- Assures resident is safe prior to leaving them:
- Has all items within reach
- Call bell within reach
- Alarms attached and working
- Restraints are applied according to care plan
- Bed/chair proper level and location
- Foot rests attached to wheelchair
- Assures residents room is tidy prior to leaving
- Informs resident and escorts to activity as necessary.
- Assists residents with toileting and has proper incontinent product as per care plan.
- Attends IDCP meetings regarding your resident (depending on shift).
- Assures C.N.A care plan is accurate and updates when indicated.
- Communicates ideas and observations.
- Promotes a positive attitude with residents and families.
- Continually improves quality of services provided.
- Provides personal care assistance with ADLs, helping and/or leading resident in daily activity programs, laundry, meal supervision, serving and light preparation.
- Facilitates the resident’s best ability to function in daily ADL’s.
- Facilitates safety and independence by ensuring all safety and adaptive equipment are accessible for the resident prior to leaving their apartment.
- Informs, escorts and assists residents in all activity programming as requested by the Thrive Program Director.
- Engages residents utilizing the Thrive program approaches.
High school graduate or equivalency required.
Experience with residents in a healthcare setting and experience working with those with Alzheimer’s or dementia preferred.
Licenses and Certifications:
Certified Nurse Assistant upon hire or within four months of hire required.
Successful completion of Dementia Care Foundation Course, competencies and Post Test required within 45 days of hire.
A follow-up online certification exam is required within 6 months of the Foundation Course.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
Strong professional, organizational, and interpersonal skills to effectively relate with all members of the healthcare team.
Works in resident care areas with exposure to infectious diseases, dirt, dust and odors.
Daily potential for exposure to blood and/or body fluids.
Sitting – Rarely
Standing/Walking – Continuously
Kneeling/Stooping – Occasionally
Bending/Climbing – Occasionally
Reaching above shoulder, at waist or below waist – Occasionally
Lifting/Pushing or Pulling up to 40 pounds – Frequently
Lifting/Pushing or Pulling over 40 pounds – Occasionally
Typing/Filing – Never
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
[ Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion ]
CentraState Healthcare System prohibits discrimination based on arbitrary consideration of such characteristics such as race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, gender (including pregnancy), affectual or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, age, physical or mental disability or limitation, medical condition, genetic information, or veteran or military status, as well as any other legally protected class of persons and acts, in accordance with applicable State and Federal laws.