The Vice President Corporate Counsel is responsible for providing legal advice and counsel to internal clients regarding all aspects of hospital operations. The VP Corporate Counsel will also have responsibilities related to other healthcare matters including contract negotiations, policies and transactions. The position will perform legal analysis and provide timely, effective and practical legal guidance in an in-house setting for a community affiliate of a large health system. This position requires comprehensive knowledge of fraud and abuse laws, HIPAA, EMTALA, New Jersey healthcare laws and regulations, regulations related to tax-exempt entities and Medicare/Medicaid regulations.
- Provides legal advice and counsel regarding health care and general corporate legal issues affecting all areas of the CentraState operation, including employment, physician relationships, managed care arrangements, corporate law, governance, patient care and medico-legal issues, licensure, Medicare and Medicaid, medical staff matters, corporate compliance, corporate governance and the broad range of regulatory matters affecting health care institutions.
- Negotiates, drafts and reviews contracts and other legal documents, including merger, acquisition and other corporate transactions and real estate leases, property and asset acquisitions, purchasing, joint ventures, physician services, licenses and other intellectual property agreements, affiliations and financing documentation.
- Performs legal and factual research necessary to draft and analyze various contracts, policies and other documents to advise internal clients.
- Serves as a key subject matter resource on healthcare laws and regulations, including, without limitation, monitoring of regulatory developments, and legal research on regulatory issues, including fraud and abuse issues, HIPAA compliance, EMTALA, Medicare and Medicaid compliance, licensure and State licensing issues, New Jersey Board of Medical Examiners issues, pay-to-play issues, corporate governance and regulatory issues related to tax-exempt entities.
- Provides guidance on billing, coding, and other reimbursement matters for compliance with government and commercial health plan requirements.
- In collaboration with compliance staff, develops compliance policies and procedures, and works closely with compliance to investigate and resolve compliance concerns.
- Responds to patient and external institutional issues, including government inquiries, as assigned.
- Provides counsel on medical staff matters, including bylaws, medical staff corrective actions, and peer review, disciplinary actions of medical staff and house staff.
- Provides counsel for legal aspects of patient care with significant medico-legal dimensions, including informed consent, medical records/privacy issues, and patients’ rights issues.
- Assists Risk Management in management of claims.
- Assists in promoting the efficiency of the legal operation by preparing templates, forms, outlines, instructional materials, and other tools and resources.
- Serves on committees and work groups as assigned.
- Oversees paralegal.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- J.D. from an accredited law school
- New Jersey licensed
- Five or more years of experience advising health care clients
- Prefer prior law firm and/or in-house direct practical experience
- Proficiency in healthcare-related corporate transactions a plus
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Extensive knowledge of laws and accreditation standards governing the delivery of healthcare by providers and suppliers, including hospitals, physicians and outpatient facilities.
- Extensive knowledge in the areas of contracts, employment law, commercial law, corporate organization and governance.
- Working knowledge of medical staff matters, including bylaws, medical staff corrective actions, and peer review, disciplinary actions of medical staff and house staff.
- Experience in fraud and abuse, physician self-referral, anti-kickback, privacy, billing and reimbursement, and patient care issues.
- Ability to work independently and with minimal supervision
- Effective human relations abilities:
- Ability to effect collaborative alliances and promote teamwork.
- Ability to ensure a high level of customer satisfaction both internally and externally.
- Effective persuasion and negotiation skills.
- Effective interpersonal skills including the ability to work closely with healthcare providers and all levels of management, administration and leadership.
- Effective leadership skills which demonstrate the ability to participate in innovation and change, strategic thinking and problem solving.
- Ability to work collaboratively with System legal team.
- Superior communication skills in both written and oral presentation, including all aspects of legal writing technique and procedure, and the ability to convey complex legal concepts to non-lawyers.
- Ability to function effectively and complete projects in a timely manner in a changing environment with multiple priorities and objectives.
- Self-confident, yet collegial.
CentraState Healthcare System, a partner of Atlantic Health System, is a fully accredited, not-for-profit, community-based health system that provides comprehensive health services in the central New Jersey region. In addition to offering a full range of leading-edge diagnostic and treatment options, CentraState serves as a valuable health partner focused on the latest ways to prevent disease, promote healthy behaviors, and help people of all ages live life well. Based in Freehold, CentraState is comprised of a 284-bed acute-care hospital, a vibrant health and wellness campus, three award-winning senior living communities, a charitable foundation, and convenient satellite health pavilions offering primary care and specialty physician practices, along with access to outpatient services, such as lab and physical therapy. The system also offers a family medicine residency and geriatric fellowship training program in affiliation with Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School. Among its many honors and accreditations, CentraState is one of less than two percent of hospitals nationwide to earn Magnet® designation for nursing excellence four times and was designated a Great Place to Work-Certified™ Company by Great Place to Work® for the second consecutive year.
When you bring your talent to CentraState, you are joining a trailblazing healthcare facility, committed to providing high-quality, patient-focused care. Join us in making incredible strides in health care, and making a difference in our community. We believe in enriching the lives of our employees through work/life balance initiatives, tuition assistance, career advancement opportunities and much more.
Find out why our employees love their jobs and being part of the CentraState family!
What We Offer:
- Highly competitive compensation
- Excellent benefits package and rewards program
- 403(b) retirement plan with company match
- 401(a) retirement plan with employer contribution
- Life Insurance
- Tuition Reimbursement Program
- Profit Sharing Program
- Growth Opportunity and Workforce Development Initiatives
- Continuing Education / Onsite Training
- A warm, welcoming company culture based upon mutual respect and a collaborative goal of providing excellent patient care
- Concierge Services with Work & Family Benefits
- Magnet recognized healthcare facility
At CentraState Healthcare System, we welcome and promote the diversity of our employee family! Each unique person contributes to the overall success of this organization. Our inclusive culture fosters an environment of professionalism and respect for personal differences.
CentraState Healthcare System, is an equal employment opportunity employer and federal contractor or subcontractor and, therefore, abides by applicable laws to protect applicants and employees from discrimination in hiring, promotion, discharge, pay, fringe benefits, job training, classification, referral, and other aspects of employment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, sexual or affectional orientation, national origin or nationality, citizenship status, disability, age, genetics, protected veteran status, ancestry, marital status.