For more information about the Summer Student Nurse Externship Program at CentraState, please contact Kari Prager at email@example.com
CentraState Medical Center offers a 10-week Nurse Extern program during the summer months. The program provides nursing students who are about to enter their senior year the opportunity to work side by side with an experienced nursing professional. You will learn valuable skills and gain the confidence you need to be successful in nursing. In addition, you participate in a period of classroom orientation before being assigned to the clinical areas. A weekly lecture series designed especially for Nurse Externs is offered. Topics have ranged from skin and wound care, to pain management, to oncology issues, and more. Through this program, you have the opportunity to apply newly acquired knowledge and skills in the day-to-day practice of nursing. The atmosphere is friendly and the opportunities abound in our progressive community hospital. Many of our nurse externs have gone on to become MSTs (multiskilled technicians) or PCTs (patient care technicians) and upon graduation have come back to CentraState as new RNs. We must be doing something right!
Nurse Extern Responsibilities & Qualifications:
- Provides skilled technical nursing assistance by performing assigned duties and services required to deliver quality patient care.
- Participates in the development of the plan of care and discharge planning needs for patients, under the direction of the RN.
- Performs pain screening as indicated, notifies the RN immediately of patient’s report of pain or discomfort, and provides appropriate non-pharmacologic interventions as directed by RN.
- Assists with data collection and reports abnormal findings to the RN.
- Documents clinical findings under direction of RN.
- Provides partial and/or complete direct personal hygienic care to patients.
- To qualify, candidates must have completed their junior year in an accredited BSN program.
- BLS certification required.
- Strong professional, organizational, and interpersonal skills to effectively relate with all members of the healthcare team are also essential.