Progressive Care (PCU) 5 North is an amazing opportunity for nurses either looking to begin a career in a fast paced, cardiac focused and exciting environment or to advance their skills in managing patients with complicated medical conditions which require prompt intervention and continued monitoring. The extensive patient population includes patients experiencing heart failure, cardiac dysrhythmias, heart attack, pre- and post-operative pace maker monitoring and management, pericarditis, chest tube care, varying respiratory illnesses both chronic and acute, syncope as well as many other comorbidities. PCU specializes in non-titratable intravenous medication management of complex cardiac dysrhythmias (IV Cardizem and Amiodarone as well as others). The unit is described as a warm and friendly environment with seasoned management focused on the growth and development of its staff. This supportive team is ready to welcome new hires and new grads alike, with a staff that is accustomed to providing a successful orientation program with high retention. The unit is unique in its generous availability of ancillary support, which includes 24/7 clinical leaders and transport RNs to assist in real time problem solving and the education needs of our patients. There are ample PCTS, two monitor technicians, AM and afternoon secretary coverage and mobile phlebotomists. Adding to the appeal of this unit is flexible self-scheduling (with guidance given to new hires on the self-scheduling process to help ensure an appealing schedule), opportunities are available to only work every third weekend due to the use of Baylor RN’s and a potential opportunity to get critical care training and cross-train to the CCU once established and trained on the unit. Come experience this highly supportive and teamwork centered unit today.
CentraState Medical Center has an employment opportunity available for a Registered Nurse (RN). The Registered Nurse (RN) administers culturally sensitive nursing care to assigned patients that is in accordance with ANA standards, the NJ Practice Act, Joint Commission, professional standards and established hospital and Nursing Department policy and procedures in accordance with evidence based nursing practice. Utilizes the Nursing Process in providing patient centered care. Evaluates the effectiveness of nursing care through the analysis of nurse sensitive indicators and patient outcomes. Orientation will include satisfactory completion of Cardiac and Respiratory Courses, ACLS, CentraState Medical Center IV Course, and CPR Certification. A patient focused care model utilizing a multidisciplinary approach is used as the method to deliver patient care. If applicable (Transport RN), facilitates throughput by transporting patients from the Emergency Room or other areas of the hospital on admission and to and from testing.
- Provides considerate respectful care focused upon the patient’s individual needs to ensure patient satisfaction.
- Affirms the patient’s right to make decisions regarding his/her medical care, including the decision to discontinue treatment, to the extent permitted by law.
- Successfully completes life-span education as appropriate.
- Obtains a complete nursing history and baseline assessment that is systematic, consistent and continuous. This assessment is communicated effectively utilizing Hand-off policy and documented.
- Documents results of patient assessment, nursing diagnosis, care plan nursing interventions and evaluation and patient progress in medical record according to hospital/nursing policy and the Nursing Standards of Care/Practice for the specific patient type.
- Appropriately analyzes patient information /assessment to determine nursing diagnosis and needs for appropriate nursing care, medical intervention or services of other clinical professionals.
- Identifies patient problems and formulates nursing diagnosis according to physical, psychological, spiritual/cultural and educational needs in conjunction with a multi-disciplinary approach.
- Consistently includes patient and family in the development of an individualized plan of care.
- Administers medication as needed following CSHS policies and manufacturer’s instructions.
- Takes immediate and appropriate actions in the event of a medication variance occurrence.
- Recognizes changes in patient condition and/or emergencies situations and takes immediate and appropriate actions.
- Participates in unit conferences to discuss quality issues and quality improvement strategies.
- Delegates components of care to non-professional caregivers as appropriate. Follows up on any delegated components of care and assignments given.
- Make decisions that demonstrate knowledge of nursing practice; utilizes sound nursing judgment in clinical and patient care management situations.
- Demonstrates critical thinking skills in the care of patients and in the coordination of care to assure the best patient outcomes.
- Follow CSHS Pain Assessment policy.
- Successfully functions as a Resource Nurse, making decisions in the absence of the Clinical Leader and/or the Nurse Manager.
- Supports cost containment through efficient use of equipment, supplies and other pertinent resources.
- Recognizes adverse reaction to medications and takes immediate and appropriate action.
- Evaluates the patient’s needs for discharge and accesses appropriate resources for the patient and/or family.
- Consistently provides written and verbal education to patients and/or families.
- Successfully functions as a preceptor/mentor to students and new staff members.
- Consistently promotes teamwork within the unit and between departments.
- Answers call lights in a timely manner.
- Completes and documents admission assessment as needed.
- Correctly double-checks blood transfusions with an RN/Primary Caregiver accurately and per CSMC policy.
- Correctly performs all scheduled and assigned tasks while continually observing patients’ needs.
- Encourages patient to use incentive spirometer whenever possible.
- Covers patient assignments for RN breaks and meetings as needed.
- Educates patients about medications and disease processes.
- Facilitates throughput by transporting patients from the Emergency Room or other areas of the hospital on admission.
- Follows CSHS policy regarding restraint application, documentation and observation.
- Gives discharge instructions and education and documents discharge assessments as needed.
- Identifies changes in patient’s cardiac rhythm and reports findings to the primary RN. Implements basic nursing care and assists patients with activities of daily living.
- Inserts intravenous lines as needed.
- Makes discharge follow up phone calls daily and notifies Nurse Manager if patient has any complaints.
- Notifies primary RN immediately for patient complaints of pain.
- Performs simple wound care and ostomy care.
- Performs tasks to maintain mobility.
- Provides rounding as per guidelines.
- Provides partial and/or complete direct personal hygienic care to patients.
- Relieves monitor techs when needed.
- Consistently adheres to hospital policy regarding the insertion, maintenance and removal of foley catheters.
- Able to verbalize and demonstrate proper rationale and techniques surrounding all aspects of indwelling urinary catheter care as per policy #4668.
- Fulfills the requirements for competencies and completion of annual mandatories surrounding indwelling urinary catheters.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing preferred
- Related experience preferred
- RN license/NJ required
- BLS certification required
- ACLS certification to be achieved within First Year then maintained thereafter
- Successful Completion of Basic Dysrhythmia course to be achieved with First Year
- CSMC IV Certification to be achieved within First Year
- Stroke Education requirements to be achieved within First Year then maintained thereafter
- Specialty professional nursing certification preferred
- Strong professional, organizational, and interpersonal skills to effectively relate with all members of the healthcare team
CentraState Healthcare System, a partner of Atlantic Health System, is a fully accredited, not-for-profit, community-based health system that provides comprehensive health services in the central New Jersey region. In addition to offering a full range of leading-edge diagnostic and treatment options, CentraState serves as a valuable health partner focused on the latest ways to prevent disease, promote healthy behaviors, and help people of all ages live life well. Based in Freehold, CentraState is comprised of a 284-bed acute-care hospital, a vibrant health and wellness campus, three award-winning senior living communities, a charitable foundation, and convenient satellite health pavilions offering primary care and specialty physician practices, along with access to outpatient services, such as lab and physical therapy. The system also offers a family medicine residency and geriatric fellowship training program in affiliation with Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School. Among its many honors and accreditations, CentraState is one of less than two percent of hospitals nationwide to earn Magnet® designation for nursing excellence four times and was designated a Great Place to Work-Certified™ Company by Great Place to Work® for the second consecutive year.
When you bring your talent to CentraState, you are joining a trailblazing healthcare facility, committed to providing high-quality, patient-focused care. Join us in making incredible strides in health care, and making a difference in our community. We believe in enriching the lives of our employees through work/life balance initiatives, tuition assistance, career advancement opportunities and much more.
Find out why our employees love their jobs and being part of the CentraState family!
What We Offer:
- Highly competitive compensation
- Excellent benefits package and rewards program
- 403(b) retirement plan with company match
- 401(a) retirement plan with employer contribution
- Life Insurance
- Tuition Reimbursement Program
- Profit Sharing Program
- Growth Opportunity and Workforce Development Initiatives
- Continuing Education / Onsite Training
- A warm, welcoming company culture based upon mutual respect and a collaborative goal of providing excellent patient care
- Concierge Services with Work & Family Benefits
- Magnet recognized healthcare facility
At CentraState Healthcare System, we welcome and promote the diversity of our employee family! Each unique person contributes to the overall success of this organization. Our inclusive culture fosters an environment of professionalism and respect for personal differences.
CentraState Healthcare System, is an equal employment opportunity employer and federal contractor or subcontractor and, therefore, abides by applicable laws to protect applicants and employees from discrimination in hiring, promotion, discharge, pay, fringe benefits, job training, classification, referral, and other aspects of employment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, sexual or affectional orientation, national origin or nationality, citizenship status, disability, age, genetics, protected veteran status, ancestry, marital status.